Is Palm Oil (solid form) and Palm Stearin the same thing?

Ilona

I want to make a batch of CP castille from the recipe on Millersoap. It calls for 6 oz of the "solid type palm oil". I don't have any palm oil but I have palm stearin. I looked it up but could not find a clear answer.

Is palm oil and palm stearin basically the same thing? Do you think I should try with the stearin?

If not does anyone know where to get the solid palm oil or do you just use the liquid palm oil?

Thanks!!

Palm sterine is stearic acid, definetly not an oil, and using more than 1-2% will giv eyou a highly unworkable batch.

Palm is solid at room temp, but the moment it's let in a slightly warm spot it'll start to liquify. I usually get my palm from WSP. Now, this is palm, not palm kernal. Huge difference between the two.

If you wanted to go ahead and make this batch without it, sub straight lard for the palm and put it back through a lye calculator. It'll be creamier to use, and easier to work with.

That's what I did, just changed it up with lard and calculated it.

I did an oven HP and it worked perfectly! My first oven HP. I'm done with stovetop HP. The oven is a piece of cake. LOVE it!

Thanks for clearing that up.

bye

ilona

Palm sterine is stearic acid, definetly not an oil, and using more than 1-2% will giv eyou a highly unworkable batch.

Palm is solid at room temp, but the moment it's let in a slightly warm spot it'll start to liquify. I usually get my palm from WSP. Now, this is palm, not palm kernal. Huge difference between the two.

If you wanted to go ahead and make this batch without it, sub straight lard for the palm and put it back through a lye calculator. It'll be creamier to use, and easier to work with.

ditto to what Bunny said!