Mango butter in cp recipe

julie c

Hello!! I'm still new at cp, have a very basic recipe that works and think makes a darn good soap. I would like to add mango butter or shea butter to this recipe, but not sure how to add to my recipe. Do I just subtract from one oil and how much? Thanks. My recipe is....

12oz canola oil

12oz coconut oil

19oz lard

THis makes a 4lb batch, open to any other butters that you think would work as well.Thanks julie:D

Hello!! I'm still new at cp, have a very basic recipe that works and think makes a darn good soap. I would like to add mango butter or shea butter to this recipe, but not sure how to add to my recipe. Do I just subtract from one oil and how much? Thanks. My recipe is....

12oz canola oil

12oz coconut oil

19oz lard

THis makes a 4lb batch, open to any other butters that you think would work as well.Thanks julie:D

Julie, something is not right here. Your oils total 43 oz. 4 lbs is 64 oz.

When calculating batch size, you only count the oils and butters, not water.

Based on your numbers, assuming it's a 43 oz batch, you have 28% canola, 28% coconut, 44% lard.

Normally hard oils comprise 50% of the recipe. Yours are 72%. Do you have any olive oil? If so try this:

5% shea or mango=2 oz.

20% coconut=8.6 oz

25% lard=10.8 oz

25% olive=10.8 oz

25% canola=10.8 oz

e

Ok, your right. I went to check my recipe and I half a 8lb recipe. The so called 8 lb doesn't add right either, but when I make my so called 4lb batch it almost fits in my 4lb wooden log, with a few inches to spare. Hmmm. Maybe because of the freezer paper it sits up a bit.

The 8lb recipe is

24oz canola

24oz coconut oil

38oz lard

12oz lye

32 oz water

It states, "makes 8lbs", I just 1/2 it. I'll try you numbers in my next batch and see, I'll have something else on hand in case we have an overflow!!

Thanks so much everyone.:yay: