I really need advice about this wax!

If i just had a little amount of this wax i would just ditch it but i bought 55# because (supposedly) got a good deal on it because it was a busted box. (luck me)! Anyway, doesn't seem anyone knows anything about this wax so wanting to know if there may be something i can add to it to help with my problem or just ditch it anyway?

It is a container wax and the following info is on the MSDS

Product Name is:500CB and also (052CB or 052VM)

Other/Generic Name is: Modified Paraffin Wax. Don't know how it was MODIFIED.

Manufacturer: Honeywell

The problem is scent throw is not that good and it doesn't last but only about 2-4 hrs. (depending on FO's used) and yes i have left the house for a reasonable amount of time. I have used what i though to be some good FO's from Tennessee Candle Supply, Aztec. Have used Fo's: White Tea & Ginger, Butt Naked, Love Spell, Birthday Cake, Amish Harvest, This Old House etc. just to name a few.

Am using this for melts in case that info is needed.

Can anyone help me please?:(

Thanks to all

BTW- also tried the Crisco trick.

Ok, gonna add some vibar. Don't know if it already has any in it or not but its ready for the trash anyway. Now does anyone advise against it. Is there any danger putting too much vibar in case there has been some mixed in it?

Can someone help me out?

Well, we know it's a paraffin wax...but modified...I have no idea what that means. If it doesn't have any additives in it, you can try adding 1 tsp of Vybar per lb of wax. If it already has some in it, it could cut your scent throw all together...but you won't know unless you try it.

When people use crisco, they usually use that in container waxes, not melts. Crisco is basically soy, so it's usually used with soy or soy blends to increase the fragrance throw. When I was using 100% soy and Joy wax, I tried adding it and to tell you truth...I didn't notice any difference.

How much FO per lb of wax are you using anyway? Could be you're not using enough. The standard amount is 1 oz FO to 1 lb of wax...but you could go up to 1.5 oz. if you want to. To have your scent dissapate after 2-4 hours sucks...you should be getting at least 8-10 hours.

:yay: Yea!! somebody finally replied to give me some pointers. Thanks soooo much Fern. Have been using 1oz FO per 1#. Haven't tried 1.5oz. Didnt even think about that. duh! Dont know how much fo this wax is suppose to hold but i will certainally try the 1.5oz. Cant hurt. If it seeps out then oh well. Its not much good as it is anyway.

You could try adding some container wax to your paraffin as well, if you've got any. I make my tarts using a 50/50 blend of OK6228 (paraffin blend) and J50 container wax and I get great throw using 1 oz FO to 12 oz of wax...sometimes, however, if I'm using an exceptionally strong scent, it's too much at 1 oz, so I cut it back to either 3/4 oz or 1/2 oz.

This wax is suppose to be a container wax but i might try mixing another container with it. I tried the vybar and there were little specks of stuff in the wax that wouldn't mix up and i heated to 180 and stirred a lot. Never worked with vybar before so dont know if i did something wrong or not.

Thanks for your help.

OK...wait a minute...you didn't say that it was a container wax in your original post, you said it was paraffin and I just assumed that it was a pillar wax since you said you were making melts with it. Most people don't make melts with container wax, although you can, and some people do, however, it's more common to use pillar wax or a combination of pillar and container wax. Since this is a container wax your talking about, then it's already got additives in it...hence the "modified" description. Now this makes sense to me. You can add Vybar to container waxes but be sure you use the type which is specifically formulated for use with a container wax...that would be Vybar 260. You also might want to up your fragrance load to 1.5 oz per lb and then let your candle cure a few days before you test it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amynleebishop
Well, we know it's a paraffin wax...but modified...I have no idea what that means. If it doesn't have any additives in it, you can try adding 1 tsp of Vybar per lb of wax. If it already has some in it, it could cut your scent throw all together...but you won't know unless you try it.

When people use crisco, they usually use that in container waxes, not melts. Crisco is basically soy, so it's usually used with soy or soy blends to increase the fragrance throw. When I was using 100% soy and Joy wax, I tried adding it and to tell you truth...I didn't notice any difference.

How much FO per lb of wax are you using anyway? Could be you're not using enough. The standard amount is 1 oz FO to 1 lb of wax...but you could go up to 1.5 oz. if you want to. To have your scent dissapate after 2-4 hours sucks...you should be getting at least 8-10 hours.

I totally agree, I have added Crisco to a troubled batch of 1275 and there was no difference whatsoever.