Testing Everlasting Pillars

Are you testing hurricnes? Did you put anything on them? Photos or something embedded? Is an everlasting piller the same as a hurricane candle? I'm not sure. I'm still pretty new to candles, so I was just curious. I make photo hurricanes and I test to make sure nothing is getting to hot or melting on the inside. Dee

The one I make is a pillar mold with glass oyster cup inserted upside down in the mold, held down with a weight and the wax poured on top....weight is removed once wax starts to harden, hole filled with wax and once the candle is removed from mold...you have a pillar with a glass container embedded in it. You burn tealights in it so the actual pillar is never burned. I had alot of wax with a high melt point(152?) that couldn't be used for anything else so I'm using it. It's as hard as a brick! I've done 3 so far, two are round 6x6 and one was a long pan I found at Goodwill....had some flaws in the bottom from lots of use and I poured cool for a imperfect finish. I put two oyster cups in it...had room for three but only used two. Does this make sense? Ginger

Hi Ginger, As far as I'm concerned so long as the wax isn't melting even after marathon burns then what else is there to bother about? And yes, they are the simplest things in the world to make. It's getting the wicking right on the tea lights that's driving me mad. Glad you're having so much fun. Mozzie

Hi Mozzie, You were the one that posted this not too long ago weren't you? They are so simple and so pretty. I thought about sticking a votive in one to see what would happen...the oyster cup is not as big as votive cup but i figured someone might try to stick a votive in there if they didn't have tealight. Thanks for posted yours in the gallery ......it gave me a new project to try. Ginger

Hi Ginger, I'm really curious to find out what happens if you try a votive. I can't imagine it working for 2 reasons: 1) the glass would get really hot and may melt the pillar wax, and 2) how would you clean out the glass when the votive needs replacing? Who knows, it may work really well as the heat from the votive may be enough to loosen the glass so it could be removed for cleaning while still not being hot enough to melt the wax around it. Please give it a go and let me know the results. Mozzie.

Mozzie...The wax I used was a very high melt point..i think in the 150 range...I didn't add any additives. Should I? I wonder if I should test with votive just in case the receiver of the candle can't read the words tea light and tried to put votive in it. You know the kind of person that puts a votive on a saucer and then tells you the candle didn't last 15-20 hours.LOL Input please. Ginger

You know you can also make these by using an oil lamp glass insert. So you make the pillar candle (no wick) drill out he center just deep enough for a lamp oil insert and put the glass lamp oil insert in the top. Then all you have to fill is the lamp oil insert once in a while. You can see the link to the inserts here: http://www.candlesupply.com/oilcandles.html