how do you balance candle making with kids?

My two younger boys (10,11) are in school, and my oldest is 18, but I do most of my candlemaking when they are at school. And if I have to do an order that I can't get done while they are in school, I will either get it done when they are in bed, or I will do it at night and they love to help me. They love to help me even more when I pay them..:D

My daughter will be three in October. I started making candles when she was one. I did the whole gate thing until she realized that what mommy was doing was off limits because she could get real hurt. Around two years old is when I got to take the gate down, but let me tell you after a year of climbing over that gate you get pretty limber. lol

Also hubby works on a farm, so she would spend her late spring, summer and early fall at the farm feeding baby cows and such. Then I would keep her home when it was too hot outside or too cold for her to go. So with the help of a very supportive hubby and flexible schedules, we have made it work.

This is my second year of making candles and as each year passes she gains more interest in wanting to help. Like Dani and others have stated, if you want something bad enough you will make time for it.

I have time for everything family, friends, work...its all part of owning your own business. :D

I'd love to no the answer to this as my days(and nights) just don't seem to have enough hours in them. I've got two children my eldest is five and has just started school but only does pm's till after xmas and my youngest is nearly 3 just started preschool but only does 1 am till halloween and then will do 2. I don't like to heat wax with them around so i generally start once there in bed @ 7.30! so i'm always knackered the nxt day!

Is there an easier way or is it like this till their @ school full time??? Would love to hear how you guys find time to make all your beautiful candles!!!!!:rolleyes2

OMG! Your kids go to bed at 7:30??? How do you do that?? LOL!

I wait til my kids are in bed too. I have 2 boys ages 10 and 5. I only sleep 3-4 hours every night and I seem to do my best work at 3 AM!

Letitia (who's five) has settled into school really well and although she only does 2 1/2 hrs a day i wear her out and her little bro when she gets home and after t bath and story she's really ready 4 bed now @ 7pm!!!!! on fri and sat she's up till 7.30 & 8pm but i've finally got more of a routine to fit candles into.When she's at school i manage to do a small batch and when i get back it's perfect time to do a second pour and following your advice they r really getting to grips with the hot thing and even tell me to b careful- u gotta love em! My kitchen overlooks their playroom so i've rotated there toys and they're fine to play gd most of the time for 45 mins.My partner works all day 5 days and usually 3 nights as well but wen he is home he puts a program on and watches with kids whilst i melt then he watches wax whilst ispend time putting kids to bed.It seems to be working but at the mo i'm only doing small batches. But it's like u say u find the time. My bags r now about 2" but hey i made a candle that i'm real proud of yesterday so it's worth it.

With the bedtime thing i'm quite strict but always have been in a nice way i make it fun but calm & they seem to understand!!!

:D P.s I'm addicted to candlemaking big time!

I solve the dilemma like this.

From January-August, my kids get me.

From Sept-Dec, my bod belongs to candles.

:laugh2:

you must make hundreds in those 3 months or do u still do a few in the other months? you got me intreeged!!

(sorry about the above can't work out how to delete yet must have posted that accidently?)

Well I was just kidding, of course. :) I pour steadily throughout the year, but I keep poured stock on hand all the time so there's seldom an "emergency." Typically when an order comes in Jan-Aug, I can fill it right away. It's just that I can schedule regular pouring sessions Jan - Aug most of the time and I stay on schedule and everything is groovy unless I get a rush of orders or an unusually large order. I don't get behind much, if at all.

But Sept-Dec all bets are off. I pour my butt off nearly every day and barely manage to keep my head above water. LOL