Wick Sizes

Hi all. New to this site. Last made a candle oooooooooo about 25 years ago - and can hardly remember what to do!! Have an old store of wax, stearic, wicks,moulds etc. Vaguely remember process and this site is great for pointing you in the right direction. Can anyone help with determining how you "size" the correct wick for a pillar candle. I remember is something to do with the diameter or is it the radius of the candle? Also what is the standard ratio between the stearic and the wax? As I said it is a quarter of a century since I last did this. Thanks for any help.:wink2: :smiley2:

Oh, goodness! There are way too many variables now...much has changed in 25 years.

What kind of wax is it? Straight paraffin? A blend? How big are the molds? (diameter ;) ) Steric can be used in differing amounts depending on your intended outcome - mottled, shiny or rustic.

More info and we will be able to help more. Oh, and there are great helps on the links to the left. <-------

This might help get you started. http://www.candlewic.com/chandler/pillars.asp, but of course it's only a guideline and you'll have to test to see what works for you. Welcome back to candle making, I'm just jumping back in myself, it's only been two years for me, but I've forgotten so much I can't imagine what it's like for you. I'm mad at myself for not keeping notes, now I have to do all that testing (and spend all that money!) all over again. :undecided

Bonnie