Droopy Wick?

Hi all. What can I do with crooked wick?

I bought some bulk wick at Michaels that was basically rolled up in a bundle, not around a spool...just like twisted around 2 fingers then popped into a little bag. Now it has little bends in it.

I prime it with wax and make sure it stays straight in a fold in wax paper as it cools and leave it that way overnight.

Sooo--it's nice and straight when I place it in the candle, I keep it tight as the candle cools and even though I have struggled with this sixteen ways from Sunday, once I burn it and the wax starts to melt, wherever the bends were previously, thats where they show up.

I can accept a wick that bends over slightly as it burns but this is bending almost over into the wax so I end up getting a wimpy little flame. Even if I pop it up straight with wick trimmers, it bends over again within a few minutes.

Is this just crappy wick or is there something else I can be doing to solve the problem?

I am burning container wax and I am not sure what kind of wick it is except that it is NOT zinc core. Should I just pitch it?

Thanks all....shera

sounds like pillar wicking. some pillar wicking curves into the flame to self trim ( although some container wicks will do the same). you need a wick that is designed for containers that is tabbed on the bottom that will stay upright while burning.heinz cd (german coreless), rrd cotton cored, htp coreless, and zinc cored are just a few that work well for containers.