Question on a new logo?

Crystala25

I am looking for a logo for my business. I've seen posts on here about those of you who create labels, for a fee of course. But, my question is when you are designing labels for someone do you create a few options to pick through or is it I tell you what I am looking for and you create one label from that?

It depends on what the person tells me. Sometimes the customer knows exactly what they want, while other only know the color scheme they want to use. It pretty much depends on how much info. they provide. I usually give them one label and see if I am on the right track with the colors, the theme, etc. then depending on what they say, I give 1-5 diff. pics. More times than not, 1 picture is good and they just tell you what they want to change/add/delete. Hope that helps :)

PS - This is what I am in the process of changing my logo to. I would show the person this. Maybe they don't like the Lilies I have chosen and want a rose.

I am looking for a logo for my business. I've seen posts on here about those of you who create labels, for a fee of course. But, my question is when you are designing labels for someone do you create a few options to pick through or is it I tell you what I am looking for and you create one label from that?

When I create a label or other graphic for a client, I get as much info as I can about what they have in mind, then draw up a draft based on the info. I then will do as many revisions to that draft as they ask for; or if they do not like the draft I will ask them to tell me what they don't like about it and what they do like and then I will make a new one. I do this until they are pleased. I don't charge extra for revisions and I will make as many changes no matter how small until the client is pleased with the final design.

I try to keep my own design preferences out of the picture and become a tool for my clients that they can use to create their perfect logo or label.

Good communication is vital to insure that the designer gets a clear picture of what you have in your mind's eye. Sometimes my clients will send me images they like to show me a style or concept that caught their eye.

I use industry standard software to insure compatibility with professional printers. All work I do is on the computer hand drawn with a mouse. A client will sometimes request that a photo be used on a label rather than my hand drawn art. If so, I will outsource a royalty free photo that is clear to use in business printing. There are a lot of clipart/photo suppliers that do not allow their art to be printed on business items or 'for sale' items.

If your designer uses clipart on your labels, make sure you know the source so you can check the licening terms. Never allow a designer to use clipart in a logo or you may end up in legal trouble down the road for violating the copyrights of the clipart owner. I now of no clipart company that will allow their art to be used in a logo or other service mark without a high fee to purchase the full rights to the artwork.

Hope this helps!

Donna

Its really nice to hear , dovestudios, that you dont mind doing changes and stuff for clients !! ...Some designers get really bitchy and uptight when you dont like what they first put on the plate and suggest for yourself something else.......

You sound like you really care about what they want and not when youre gonna get done with them !!! Very cool !! ...

Do you have any work to see

Deana

My sentiments are pretty much what Donna said. Whenever I create any type of design work for a client, I listen to what their needs are. I don't try to force them into something that they won't be happy with. I can offer suggestions on what will or will not work, but it's ultimately their final say on things. I make as many edits as needed because ideas need to be honed, and that doesn't always happen on the first round (but when does it ever?). However, there are a few occasions when clients will totally give me creative freedom and I usually hit the one they want in the first draft.

I can't decide now if I want to have someone create a logo for me or to start by myself. No, I have decided I want someone to do it for me. And when I am ready it will definetly be someone from these boards you all do such terrific work.

I tried it by myself already and I just can't seem to do anything special and I don't know how to add that little special touch to it that I see in other logos.

Also, the picture in my background was from a clipart site, so I'm not sure that it is legal if I use it, I would need to check.

I would show you all what I tried, but I cannot seem to add my picture on here. Can someone please help me out with that? Thanks.

Crystal