1st try with blending paraffin and soy

I made 3 batches, using same amt of dye (3 drops) and FO (8%), wicks, containers - pics about 8 hours into curing.

A is GW464 - heated to 185, added dye, then FO at 170, poured at 135. Heavy frosting, wet spots on smaller jar, hole at wick. Best cold throw of the 3.

B is 70% J223 and 30% 402 - heated to 190, added dye and FO right away, and when I finished stirring, temp was 155 - poured into slightly warmed jars.

No frost, no wet spots, pretty top and color. Moderate cold throw.

C is 50/50 of J223 and 402 - heated to 195, added dye and FO right away, temp when finished stirring was 160 - poured into slightly warmed jars.

No frost, some wet spots on small jar, pretty top and best color of all. Very mild cold throw.

Here's my question - I would like a better cold throw with the paraffin blends - and of course I haven't tried burning them yet - do you think increasing the FO % will help increase or is there a better way? Like some other additive?

post-2836-13945840777_thumb.jpg

I made 3 batches, using same amt of dye (3 drops) and FO (8%), wicks, containers - pics about 8 hours into curing.

A is GW464 - heated to 185, added dye, then FO at 170, poured at 135. Heavy frosting, wet spots on smaller jar, hole at wick. Best cold throw of the 3.

B is 70% J223 and 30% 402 - heated to 190, added dye and FO right away, and when I finished stirring, temp was 155 - poured into slightly warmed jars.

C is 50/50 of J223 and 402 - heated to 195, added dye and FO right away, temp when finished stirring was 160 - poured into slightly warmed jars.

No frost, some wet spots on small jar, pretty top and best color of all. Very mild cold throw.

Here's my question - I would like a better cold throw with the paraffin blends - and of course I haven't tried burning them yet - do you think increasing the FO % will help increase or is there a better way? Like some other additive?

I have no idea what 402 is or what is characteristics are but I use J223 or at least I have for the past 3 years, not sure I am going to continue to.

BUT, I almost all of our FO we do at 9% FO and we have almost 65 that we stock. (we find this with just the J223...the new wax that we had formulated for us... we are still testing but so far it is working well for us and it is doing well with the same FO at 7%.)

When I get a new FO we pour 4 identical testers one at 6%, 7%, 8% and one at 9%....

We do the following

1) Pour them all at the same temp, same amount of wax, same jar. Just the % is different.

2) We cap them, place them on a shelf in the shop and let them sit for 3-4 weeks, why that long? To see if any of them bleed FO. Then we test each and everyone for scent throw. They are each burned in the same identical room. One at a time, with a week break in between each jar burn (to clear the nose)....otherwise they all smell strong or you smell nothing.

When done, we have outside testers that do the same think in their homes.

We give them a sheet to fill out.

I know this takes a long time but it has been worth it.

HTH

C looks really good. What kind of wicks are you using? Sorry to butt in I was just curious!

I have no idea what 402 is or what is characteristics are but I use J223 or at least I have for the past 3 years, not sure I am going to continue to.

BUT, I almost all of our FO we do at 9% FO and we have almost 65 that we stock. (we find this with just the J223...the new wax that we had formulated for us... we are still testing but so far it is working well for us and it is doing well with the same FO at 7%.)

When I get a new FO we pour 4 identical testers one at 6%, 7%, 8% and one at 9%....

We do the following

1) Pour them all at the same temp, same amount of wax, same jar. Just the % is different.

2) We cap them, place them on a shelf in the shop and let them sit for 3-4 weeks, why that long? To see if any of them bleed FO. Then we test each and everyone for scent throw. They are each burned in the same identical room. One at a time, with a week break in between each jar burn (to clear the nose)....otherwise they all smell strong or you smell nothing.

When done, we have outside testers that do the same think in their homes.

We give them a sheet to fill out.

I know this takes a long time but it has been worth it.

HTH

That sounds like a great test schedule, and it makes a good deal of sense. Thanks for sharing.

402 is LP402, Golden Brands pure soy. Got it from Aztec, along with the J223. I've seen other people refer to the LP415 as just 415 and the GW464 as 464, so I thought it was common just to drop the LP/GW.

Thanks again.