CP Layer ?

Carol M

How firm should the bottom layer be before pouring the next layer? Is it like m&p in that the top won't stick if you wait too long?

When I layer in the slab mold it's usually about an hour between layers (the whole process takes me 3 and a half hours); the length of time between layers is the length of time the next 42 oz. batch of oils takes to cool down to almost room temperature.

Here's what I posted recently on another thread about the consistency of the soap for flat layer surfaces:

The secret to straight layer tops for me is pouring the soap at the moment in time when it is the consistency of heavy cream. Just before a drop of soap sits on the surface when you pull the spatula up and let the soap drip off. You know, when you're stirring and you feel a little more resistance begin; and if you wiggle the spatula back and forth there is just the hint of a ripple beginning on the soap surface. That's when I give it one more stir and pour it in the mold. Does any of this description make sense? :rolleyes2 Once it's in, just shimmy the mold from side to side, and back and forth as it sits on the counter top. You get a feel for it after a while. It's a hard thing to describe.

I do keep the spatula in the flow of the soaps that are poured onto the previous layer.

The layers will adhere - unlike M&P which I've heard is a bear to layer! I do CPOP to force full gel since the soap layers have been sitting out all this time on my kitchen table.

I hope you find this helpful. :)

When I layer in the slab mold it's usually about an hour between layers (the whole process takes me 3 and a half hours); the length of time between layers is the length of time the next 42 oz. batch of oils takes to cool down to almost room temperature.

LOL, glad you heard me calling you Brenda!