Smaller FO Suppliers - should I try?

ubure

Hi,

yesterday I browsed many, many, many webistes of FO suppliers that I've never heard of in one of the scent forums (including this one). Some of them have FOs that I haven't seen before and that I am very curious to try. Should I? Or is it not so safe buying from suppliers that are completely "unknown"?

Maybe you'd like to visit one of these sites, www.silkytyme.com

They have scents like Chipotle or Hickory (seems to be interesting for fall imo), and also a tart cherry which I've been looking for.

What do you think?:confused:

Inez

The variety of scents a supplier carries has nothing to do with the quality. Some of the best suppliers are small. Some of the most complex scents with the best throw comes from small suppliers who are candlemakers themselves. Twigs & Berries, The Scented Bean, and Tennessee Candle Supply come to mind. All outstanding quality, all candlemakers.

My experience has been that the suppliers who carry a large inventory and add new scents all the time are some of the worst because their products aren't adequately tested. Some suppliers who continually add new scents have outside sources test for them, if they are tested at all. It can be a never ending circle of a tester giving a good review in order to get more free samples to try. More good reviews, more free samples. Those reviews can't be trusted, imo.

The only way you will know is to buy small amounts and test in your product.

Peaks comes to mind, I have been buying from them since I started, they were pretty limited in their variety but slowly added over the years. I have to say that the fo's I buy from Peak's and they are many are what my customers want. Old Mill is another one, they have only a limited amount, but what they have always seem to be sellers for the most part. I really don't purchase any of my oils from the big guys and if I do it is usually for soaping. But like Sliver said, buy samples first. You pretty much know with a sample if you have a winner or not.

Quote: "Some suppliers who continually add new scents have outside sources test for them, if they are tested at all. It can be a never ending circle of a tester giving a good review in order to get more free samples to try. More good reviews, more free samples. Those reviews can't be trusted, imo".

We are a brand new company and this is a variation of how we have decided to do it. Good reviews have no bearing on getting more samples to try. Actually testing ALL samples and reviewing good or bad is what we look for. If all the reviews are bad we won't carry that scent. If reviews are mixed we make a determination based on our own testing. EVERY one of our FO's are extensively tested by us, our testers or both prior to our ordering in bulk. We have one particular FO right now that did not get particularly good reviews, but when we tried it we got rave reviews from our customers on our product so we decided to carry it and hope that enough people would give it a try. The not so good reviews are right there for all to read, we do not alter the reviews. Our reviewers have given us VERY HONEST feedback and it is posted honestly. We have a great bunch who are not afraid to tell us if they do not like something. I truely think the recipe a FO is used in can dramatically affect how well it works for a given person. Just because one person doesn't like how a fragrance works does not mean it won't work out wonderfully for someone else.

GLO

Some suppliers who continually add new scents have outside sources test for them, if they are tested at all. It can be a never ending circle of a tester giving a good review in order to get more free samples to try. More good reviews, more free samples. Those reviews can't be trusted, imo.

We test most of our scents ourselves, but we also enlist the aid of outside testers, who are carefully screened for experience and skill. Our testers are required to sign an agreement to never reveal that they have tested fragrances for Scent-works.com. We also demand that they NEVER discuss a fragrance they have tested on any public board. We don't like shills; and never advertise publically for testers. In addition, when we send them fragrances to test, they are not told what the scent is; it arrives in a bottle with no identifying mark except for a control number, known only to us.

We also expect that every scent they test will be scored objectively; we send a very specific set of instructions grading multiple aspects of the testing process. Our testers are told that we expect most of their scents to fail. Plus, we test each scent at least 3 times, in different formulas.

We're pretty serious about making sure we know exactly how a fragrance will perform before we consider adding it to our line. And pumping in good reviews means nothing to our testers...who are compensated for their effort, regardless of the results of their tests.

Thank you all - that is so good to hear! I should have known this, because it's only logical!

I've already ordered my 1oz bottles and can't wait to try them (I will let you know).

And it's so much fun discovering all those companies, I spend hours on it.

Again, thank you - what would I do without your help?

Inez:grin2:

We test most of our scents ourselves, but we also enlist the aid of outside testers, who are carefully screened for experience and skill. Our testers are required to sign an agreement to never reveal that they have tested fragrances for Scent-works.com. We also demand that they NEVER discuss a fragrance they have tested on any public board. We don't like shills; and never advertise publically for testers. In addition, when we send them fragrances to test, they are not told what the scent is; it arrives in a bottle with no identifying mark except for a control number, known only to us.

Looks like that system is working for you as you have some fabulous scents and the reputation for top quality to go with them.

e

The only thing I can add here is I think there is a misconception about testing a fragrance for someone. A one ounce bottle of fo is nothing to go crazy over. When I test I have to pare down my usual recipe to a size small enough to test. I actually went out and bought 2" pvc pipe to pour those little batches into. I doubt anyone who is testing for a company is doing it for that reason. Also when I test I have to take the temps of my oils and water. Note all of that along with the discount I took with the water. All in all kinda almost a pita. kwim? Oh sure some may feel special to be asked and then those people might not give an honest answer about....what? How fast it traced? I mean anything else is gonna be obvious in the soap bar I give back to the supplier. I can look at a bar and tell if it riced. Let alone if it seized. Discoloration is going to show up too. No what bothers me is the suppliers who race to buy an fo because there is chatter about it on the boards and they offer it for sale before they bother to test it at all.

Glow, these are exactly the kinds of companies we want to buy from.

Thank You Cindy. We're very new but we are doing our best to establish a nice line of FO's. We've made mistakes but we are learning from them and will continue to improve because of them.

Glo

ubure, you don't say what your application is, or maybe I just missed it. Many oils that work great in B&B aren't worth 2 cents in candles.

Another trap you don't want to fall into is thinking high priced oils are better. With rare exception, oils in the $15 to $18 max range, give or take a dollar or two, will perform beautifully in both candles and B&B.

Some suppliers offer 2 and 4 oz bottles. I'm not fond of 1 oz bottles, but they usually suffice for test purposes.

Edited: I meant to say they suffice for test purposes in a single application.

ubure, you don't say what your application is, or maybe I just missed it. Many oils that work great in B&B aren't worth 2 cents in candles.

Another trap you don't want to fall into is thinking high priced oils are better. With rare exception, oils in the $15 to $18 max range, give or take a dollar or two, will perform beautifully in both candles and B&B.

Some suppliers offer 2 and 4 oz bottles. I'm not fond of 1 oz bottles, but they usually suffice for test purposes.

Edited: I meant to say they suffice for test purposes in a single application.

#

SliverOf Wax,

you're sure right! I'm doing soy candles and the one thing I've learned from all your answers is: there's only one way - testing, testing, testing...

But that's the exciting thing for me newbie!

Inez:smiley2: