My super dooper Fugly soap...lol

angel2211

OK. I posted last night about only adding half the lye, decided that if i was gonna have to throw the whole batch away anyway i might aswell add the extra lye anyway. I'd chosen the lower number on my water allowance and still had up to 6oz of water I could add so thought i'd add it with my Lye. Well it didn't exactly turn out too good. The bar itself is "fairly" solid and was thinking ok don't look the healthiest but thought i'd try my tongue to it...

OH MY GOODNESS no one told me what the lye zap was like....yucko So even though it doesn't look the healthiest and it's lye heavy (which i'm about to do a search on), Plus it has ash aswell, i'm quite proud of this soap. Because i've been trying to figure out how to line a mould since I hacked my first soap to bits and BINGO managed to do it this time it slid right out of the container i was using (a few creases in it but ack who's vein anyway...lol) PLUS because I can't get freezer paper thought i'd try freezer film. And BINGO again that works too. So even though i might of mucked up a #4 batch of soap i've learned quite alot so i'm still the proud maker of this fugly looking, tongue zapping soap :D

post-4041-139458405328_thumb.jpg

Give the soap a few more days and then do the tongue test again to see if it zaps you. Sometimes you will get zapped when you first unmold it because it needs more time. And it you give it more time, it just might not zap you. If it doesn't, I think the soap will look pretty good once cut and cleaned up. I love the color.

BTW - I had to laugh when I read your first experience cutting your first batch. I did the same thing. It didn't take me long after that to learn to line my mold and invest in a soap cutter instead of using a butter knife. LOL

Give the soap a few more days and then do the tongue test again to see if it zaps you. Sometimes you will get zapped when you first unmold it because it needs more time. And it you give it more time, it just might not zap you. If it doesn't, I think the soap will look pretty good once cut and cleaned up. I love the color.

BTW - I had to laugh when I read your first experience cutting your first batch. I did the same thing. It didn't take me long after that to learn to line my mold and invest in a soap cutter instead of using a butter knife. LOL

Thanks Meridith & prairieannie

i am in the middle of going through the forums i put in a search for "Lye Heavy" and got some posts on that and was just reading where someone said to give it 3 days then test again if it still zaps then rebatch it. The post also said that there were white spots in the soap which mine does have so i'll see how it goes in 3 days or so and if need be i might have to learn rebatching pretty quick....lol

My mother in law said to me oh all the good oil wasted i couldn't stand it doesn't it upset you. I simply replied nope i learnt to be more careful when checking my recipes and i learnt to line a mould aswell as trying a new recipe. Plus i know now not to add lye to it later. She just looked at me dumbfounded. But while i'm disappointed i might not be able to try out this recipe i'm definately not disappointed it mucked up. I've actually learnt heaps from it.

When i was making it i put in red to get the pink but i didn't like the pink i had so i added a few drops of black to it. They thought i was weird but i liked it too. As for cutting it. I cut some of this one before and have found if i use the back of a stainless steel knife i actually get a nice smooth cut. Mind you I cant cut them the same size but i actually cut them straight and not hacked so that was good.

Edited because image was too big.

post-4041-139458405337_thumb.jpg

I think they look great.Who knows too, it could be one of the best soaps you ever make. My first soap looked like someone ate split soup and threw up! LOL I made it in a plastic tray mold I got with a kit from Supplies to Die For. I let my batch get too hot, and it warped my mold. It was a great soap too just not appealing to look it.

And if you need to rebatch, it is not hard at all. I rebatch in an old crock pot. I cut or grind the soap up and put it in the cp. It takes a while this way, but I don't mind. Sometimes, I add gm or some exta oils to it.

I think they look great.Who knows too, it could be one of the best soaps you ever make. My first soap looked like someone ate split soup and threw up! LOL I made it in a plastic tray mold I got with a kit from Supplies to Die For. I let my batch get too hot, and it warped my mold. It was a great soap too just not appealing to look it.

And if you need to rebatch, it is not hard at all. I rebatch in an old crock pot. I cut or grind the soap up and put it in the cp. It takes a while this way, but I don't mind. Sometimes, I add gm or some exta oils to it.

LOL i have no idea what gm is but i'll do a search on it. As for it being the best soap i ever make....(i certainly hope not...hehe) but when i moved it naturally i got some of it on my hands well when i washed my hands they did feel lovely and silky afterwards. So who knows you might just be right on that one :D . I do have some in a plastic mould at the moment and it wont come out of it but i'm going to just leave it in there and hope it shrinks and pops out.

GM = goats milk.

I only used my plastic tray mold twice. After the first batch, it warped so it was hard to get that batch out. I figured it probably would have come out easier if I had given it more time. My next batch was a PITA getting out too. I've never used it since.

Welcome to the addiction. :D

GM = goats milk.

I only used my plastic tray mold twice. After the first batch, it warped so it was hard to get that batch out. I figured it probably would have come out easier if I had given it more time. My next batch was a PITA getting out too. I've never used it since.

Welcome to the addiction. :D

cool thanks Meridith, I've been trying to get powdered goats milk for some other recipes and cant get powdered but i can get liquid goats milk. I'm hoping this comes out it is in my new mould that i quite like..

And as for the addiction, it is pretty addicting. I thought i'd make some prove i could do it and that would be it but unfortuately i don't think it's going to be that black and white