Some of my first candles/testing-and learning

Going to blow-em out shortly and try to catch a nap. (maybe) I sleep very little.

Wow, you sure deserve a nap. I am tired just from reading the posts. It sounds as if the testing is going well. As for the 3-4 hour rule for a pillar, it seems to me that after that, the flame may get pretty large/hot. Perhaps that is the theory behind that number.

You should abuse your candles during testing. Consumers will. That is a guarantee.

e

First of all, sounds like you have a very good wife and that you appreciate that fact. Good for you!!

Next, I think your candles look really great. I know squat about pillars (they scare me) so I have no input on the burns...lol.

Most importantly, you are obviously VERY serious about testing and you are doing a very thorough job, which is just GREAT! Those candles will be beautiful AND safe. Very nice work.

LOL - Eugenia, true, true and true, and I know my posts can ramble on and be difficult to read as well. I wish that I could be more efficient at conveying my thoughts through written word.

I used to love that song, "Ramble On" by Led Zepplin.

BrandNewToCandles - Yes she is a good wife. However, when we first got married we used to get divorced about once or twice a week, now after 16 years we only get divorced about once every couple of months..LOL..

Here's one of my "UH OH's" I poured these two yesterday around 4:30pm and took them out of the molds this morning around 9:30. It seems to be leaking liquid dye (8 drops red and 2 drops green per lb.) or FO (1 oz per lb.) or both. Maybe too much dye or maybe just didn't have it stirred well enough.

I melted them down and poured again - added a pinch of UV inhibitor (forgot the 1rst time) and added one tsp. of UA = 1/2 tsp per lb. Stirred well. We'll see if that helps.

Still trying to figure out how to attach these photos so that they don't have to be clicked on to open. Think I have to add and , I'm just not sure where and when to do it.

post-4010-139458404705_thumb.jpg

post-4010-139458404708_thumb.jpg

This was what I got on the second round. They definitely came out better but I don't think that I had the bottoms of the molds entirely clean. I think that may be why I have a few light colored spots in the tops of the candles.

There is also a bit of a greasy film on the candles but at least the insides of the molds were dry this time around. Scented with "apple strudel".

Note to Deanna, I thank you for your kind words and support. I can't help but wonder what it is about pillars that causes you to say, "they scare me". Is it the thought of not getting a proper seal at the wick hole and the possibility of hot wax running all over? If so, just set the mold in a pan that's bigger than the amount of wax in the candle. :)

I bought these molds from peaks along with the wick pins. Thay also have two types of sealer (one white putty and one grey) I bought both and mixed them together as per suggested by them. I don't have to use much putty - I roll into a ball - press it flat to bottom of mold (outside of course) then I insert the wick pin through the putty from the bottom. (make the intial hole through the putty with the wick pin from the top actually)

That way I can clean that little bit of putty from the pin and then I can see the hole from outside easier. Then push the pin through from bottom. Set on flat surface and press the mold down to snug the mold and pin and get a tight seal.

I would imagine that some prefer to put the putty on top of the wick pin base and loop it around the pin, then push the pin into the mold until they get a snug fit. Either way should work. "Everybody to their own notion," said the old lady that kissed the cow. :grin2:

Then pour the candle as you would a container.(except I leave enough wax in the pot for the second pour). Check the wick pin as the wax cools to keep it centered at the top of the mold. (sometimes they can move a bit)

I let the wax cool for a couple of hours, and poke relief holes with an old steak knife. I twist the knife so as to really open a decent hole to let the air escape as the wax shrinks, I usually pick out any excess wax at the top of the relief hole and toss it back into presto. Just check the relief holes periodically and keep them open until the wax cools more completely. You can touch the side of the mold after 3 hours and the wax will still be pretty warm. It suprised me the first time I did it because I expected it to be cooler than it was.

On these candles I did my second pour around 6 hours after the initial pour. I pour the second pour as close as I can get to the top line of the first pour without going above that line. Let cool until completely cool. I then *gently* pry apart the wick pin base from the mold going around the circle a bit at a time so as not to bend the pin. The putty will begin to pull loose (seperate from the mold and pin) I then just pull the pin on out by hand.

This particular batch of wax that I'm using looks brainy - rippled - wavy - funky on top so I leave the candle in the mold. Take a paper towel and fold it once - put the paper towel against the top of the candle - turn it over - put it flat in presto pot - give it enough heat to melt the wax enough to flatten/level the bottom of the candle. The paper towel soaks up most of the excess wax. I move the candle around a bit whilst leveling it - then I tilt it back take it out - throw away the paper towel and clean up the mess.

Take a pic. Put it on here. Then write a long post about it...which most candlers probably find to be quite boring........and I'm done. :grin2:

Try it - it's really not all that scary. Solid colors with a preblend wax are easy.

post-4010-139458404732_thumb.jpg

post-4010-139458404734_thumb.jpg

You are learning quite a bit. It's much easier to level a

pillar while still in the mold.

As for cleaning the molds, put them upside down on paper

towels on a baking pan in a 175 oven for a bit, then wipe them

out.

Carry on! :wink2:

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hijack, but I was reading that you're from Columbia, SC. We just moved from there last October after living there for 3 years. I don't miss the heat at all, I actually misssed the falls in the Northeast! But there are many things we do miss. Have you ever been to Gervais and Vine? Man we miss that place! And it's where our baby was born, so I know we'll be back to visit some day :cheesy2:

Dh was stationed there (Ft. Jackson) as a drill Srgt. but we had a home off post. He's out of the Army now and really enjoying civilian life after 10 years in. Anyway, enough about that. This thread just brought back some memories :cheesy2: