Need some advice

Trae

Last year I sponsored my daughter's soccer team. I asked to sponsor a certain coach because we really liked how he handled the girls so I thought besides supporting the league, I'd also support him as a coach. Well, the league was under the assumption that I was only sponsoring to get my daughter on the team and gave me a major hard time. Finally they relented. That was problem #1. Here's #2....we get the uniforms and my business name was spelled wrong. So if anyone went on the internet to find me, they wouldn't. The league said it was their mistake and had the shirts reprinted and let the girls keep the others for practice shirts. Well, they pretty much wore whatever shirt was clean at the time so they were always displaying two different business names. Problem #3...all sponsors are supposed to be listed on the league website. Mine was somehow left off. When it came time for the banquet, the program always has the sponsors listed. Once again, the name was spelled wrong.

So here's my dilemma....the league wants me to do a fundraiser for one, possibly two of their travel teams because they "support their sponsors". I don't have a problem with doing a fundraiser but they want me to sponsor a team again, swearing up and down that none of those problems would happen again. I'm of course very leery of it, but I'm wondering if I DO sponsor and do these fundraisers, will I have a better chance of getting more business down the line because of sponsoring?? I'm torn as to what to do. Opinions?? Thanks!

Well, I have absolutely no idea if it will increase YOUR sales, but it didn't help mine one bit! I sponsored my nephew's all-star team last year, paid for for some landscaping (where they did put a nice sign with my business name and phone number), did fundraisers for 2 different teams, and didn't see any increase at all in my sales. I was sure glad they didn't ask me this year because I had already decided to say "no." (I really didn't want to do all of that last year, but DH thought it would be a good idea so I went along with him.)

Of course, I was still happy to do fundraisers this year because that's sales, but other than the fundraiser sales, I don't think I added any customers.

Just my 2 cents worth--hopefully it works better at other places!

Jane

Did they support you last year? If they didn't use you (the season when your business name advertising was mia or out of whack), who did they support?

btw what stopped them from updating their site to include your name for this long? That really bugs me. I could get past the misspelling but not the continued ommisson. That could/should have been updated immediately.

imo I think theres a good chance youre being manipulated. Will you get the fundraiser if you don't sponsor this year? Either way from a business pov is it worth it?

Business, money, sales & advertising aside, did you get any joy from sponsoring the kids? Would you hesitate to do it again if last year ran smooth?

The guy who wants me to do the fundraiser for his team was the one who worked quickly to get the shirts fixed and he said the website thing was his fault. Says he had no idea that my business was left off. He wants to do the fundraiser whether I sponsor or not. The fundraiser he did last year was supposedly a friend of the team mom. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. It's hard to say if I'm being manipulated. I'm waiting to hear back from the coach because he's pretty friendly with this guy and would know if he's the type to do this just to get sponsors. I just don't want to give up an opportunity to get more business and fundraisers. Maybe I'll ask him to cut the sponsor fee in half for my troubles :D

I'm a softie when it comes to kids.. if I was sure last years issues were gone & I could afford to sponsor the kids for a 2nd year I'd probably sponsor w/w out the fundraiser. I'd write it off advertising expense.

Have you ever done a fundraiser where your child was a member of the group? Reason I ask is I'm often asked to lower my rate, (ie donate) when my rugrats are in the mis so the group can max their profit. The guilt some of these folks can lay on you is awful. I'm not in a position (yet anyway) where I can do a 100% donated fundraiser, guilt or no guilt!!

It's not my daughter's team I'd be doing the fundraising for. It's one of the travel teams. They need the $$ to pay for tournaments. After I hear back from her coach I'll probably make my decision. Thanks for the input!