soap grade shea butter

lbtddr

i got this in today it is greenish will this turn soap green or can i add titanium dioxide to it to color it white.i thought it would be brown but to me it looks green.wish i would learn to get samples first.

Shea butter is made from nuts from the Karite tree, found only in Africa. The transformation of shea nuts into butter is a marathon task. Preparation takes several days and involves these stages: After collection, the nuts are boiled, sun-dried and shelled by hand. They are crushed, roasted, and then pounded in a mortar with a pestle.

Water is added to create a paste, which is kneaded. The thick shea batter is beaten until the caramel-colored foam floats to the surface. This foam is transferred to a bucket of water, where subsequent washings eliminate unwanted residues. The cleansing process, repeated as many as four times, yields progressively whiter foam, which is then boiled for many hours. The top layer is skimmed and upon cooling becomes the white shea butter.

Sounds like your butter is unrefined, hence the greenish color. It probably has a nutty odor as well. It will be fine in your soap. The refining makes it whiter, but removes some of the good things in the process. :wink2:

I used unrefined shea butter yesterday to make my flowerbomb soap, and I can still smell the nuttiness but when I wash my hands with it, all I smell in the FO I used to make it with.

I have been using shea butter for over 15 years, just have never heard or known of soap grade shea butter. Wonder what they do to it to make it soap grade, leading me to believe that it is not unrefined after all? Maybe the site was just using fancy lingo or something,lol.

they had it put like eugenia did for how it is processed put they did not have why the different grades. that makes since yes it has a nutty smell that was the first thing i said i never new shea had a smell.

I got an e-mail from someone (deleted it and now can't remember who it was) and they had what they referred to as "soap grade" shea butter for 1.50 a pound. Said it was 2005 inventory. As the price struck me as one of those too good to be true things, I just deleted the e-mail. I just assumed it was maybe older shea butter and they thought it would be good to use in soap???? Wish now I had paid attention to which company it was from.

Dorothy

bamboulaltd.com has the soap grade shea butter. they will send free samples if you request them. i bought 10lb of it and it's soft but firm, not grainy greenish brown in color, nutty. i'm just using it plain and for my horses hooves, so don't know how it will do in soap.