WOW I haven't posted here in awhile, glass ??

I'm trying to come up w/ a cute tart idea that probably won't sell because of the different, off beat FOs I'm using... anyhoo I was wondering how to tell what kinds of glass are a no-no to use on a tart burner?? Please don't answer with -thin (LOL).

I know testing is the obvious but my luck I'd test it 99x and that one weird customer that bought this combo puts it on the burner for the 100th time and the glass brakes :shocked2:!

The glass I'm wanting to use is a small/mini coke glass, made by Libbeys. I got it at the Dollar Tree. Any thoughts about this glass on a tart burner? The bottom is pretty thick, but the sides aren't. I can post a pic if that helps. TIA :)

I'd be a little concerned about putting glass on a candle warmer unless it was pyrex which is built to withstand extremely hot temperatures. You say the bottom is pretty thick but the sides are not...well, the heat is going to transfer to the sides of the glass so...I'd be concerned about it breaking over time. If it were me...I wouldn't use it. Tin conducts heat much better...you'll get a much stronger throw if you use that.

I know people that use both glass and tin on warmers. I use small ball jars for my wickless, to be honest I can't remember why I choose that over tin. I do know some that have had problems with tin. Has anyone had problems with the tin the more they use the same tin on a warmer? Maybe I should rethink using the ball jars, but I get a good throw with mine.

I like the point about the heat travelling up the glass. That was exactly what I was wondering if there might be problems since the sides were thin. Thanks I appreciate the response.

It might be a good idea for you to post the picture, because the only Coke glasses I can think of are much narrower than tall, and a warmer usually gives a much better throw with a shorter, wider container. It takes a lot longer for the wax to melt in a narrow container and also there's the issue of getting a better scent throw with a wider melt pool. So if you could post a picture of the glass, we would have a better idea.

By the way, I do usually use glass--I use the small ramekins that I get at Dollar Tree in a four-pack.

Hope this helped a little bit and would love to see a pic of the containers you're considering.

Jane

I've had some of those glasses, and IMO I don't think they'd do very well on a warmer since the bottom diameter is so small.

They do make really cute candles, though--you just have to wick them for the smaller diameter of the bottom so they would probably tunnel a bit, but I think most of the people who got them from me never burned them anyway--they just wanted them for looks.

HTH,

Jane

I plan to test the throw in this glass, I should call it a wickless candle not tart. Can you guess the scent-LOL

BUT really I'm wondering more along the lines of how do I know if this glass is safe? I've only used one container ever and I knew it was safe as its used in canning.