Soy Wax & Beeswax

I am using several different brands of soy wax to test. I also have some beeswax that I add to the soy to make it a little harder, and to give them a higher melting point.

My problem is getting the correct amount of beeswax add to make the candle to come out correctly. Say I use 1 lb of soy wax, I measure on a digital scale. How much beeswax should I be adding?

TIA

Chauna

Hi. I don't think there is a set amount to add. I think I read about 2-3%. It depends on the type of soy and your weather varients. I found it is much easier to use grams over ounces/lbs. A lb. equals 453.6 gms. So if I want a 2 % amount, I would use about 9 gms of beeswax. It comes out something like 3/10 of an ounce, I think. A search on % you might want to add should give you lots of suggestions. Ususally 2% gives me smoother tops. Some claim it helps with frosting and throw also. Maybe this will help a bit and someone else will give a better ounce answer. Beth

I would love to be able to measure the beeswax in grams but my scale does not have the gram feature.

Can anyone give me the ratio and example on 1lb of soy to beeswax? Approxiamately how much should be added?

To add beeswax, I usually use 3% in winter and 4% in the summer, per pound of wax. You will have to play with it a bit to see what works for you. But there is no set in stone amount for you to use. Too much will make your candles crack, too little will not give you the tops you are looking for.

To add beeswax, I usually use 3% in winter and 4% in the summer, per pound of wax. You will have to play with it a bit to see what works for you. But there is no set in stone amount for you to use. Too much will make your candles crack, too little will not give you the tops you are looking for.

Check out Kerry's reply.