Photoshop Gurus

Okay, I am sure there is a simple fix to this, but I will be darned if I can figure it out. I think I have searched for every tutorial known to man and been playing in Photoshop for three days now!

I have a very soft faded background on my website. I am wanting to do some vignette style (faded edge) oval shaped photos to put on my site. I figured out how to do a vignette photo in Photoshop, but when I save it as a jpg or gif file, it does not look right on my site. When I do a jpg or gif, then put it on my site, it looks like a white rectangle with a faded edged oval picture inside the rectangle. Basically what is happening when I save as a jpg or gif, the "transparent" area that i removed turns white.

So I figured out if i save it as a png-24, it will look the way I want it to on my site. The only problem is the file is HUGE! Over 3 megs. When I try to save it under 150kb, it looks terrible.

Any ideas?

Hi, How are you making your pics have that affect in photoshop? When you have the affect that you want and you are still viewing it in photoshop, are you seeing white around the photo or are you seeing the checking that show you've made the edges transparent? Are you creating new layers for your different affects?

Here is what I am doing:

Opening the picture

converting the background to a layer

using the elliptical marquee

dragging the marquee around the area of the photo I want to keep

Using a feather of about 25

Then click the "add layer mask" button on the layers palette.

I have also done this with the same result:

Made a duplicate copy of the background image and turned the background

layer off.

Did the whole marquee thingy as above.

Went under the select menu and chose inverse

Got to edit and chose clear

Where the checking vs. the white comes into play seems to be in how I am saving it? When I view the above effect in photoshop, I see it as I want it to be...with the "check" symbolizing that the photo at that area is transparent. But, as I said, when I go to save it as a jpg or giff for the web, the checking turns to white. It remains checked (transparent) if I save it as a png24, but the file size is HUGE!

I have had someone help me via pm and I am going to try that tonight and see if it works (not at home right now). If it does, I will post the solution. :) Of course, if anyone has any more ideas, I am all ears!

Do a google search for "Photoshop actions." I used to have a ton of them that automated the entire process for things like that. Since I upgraded to PS CS 9, I'm not sure I ever reloaded them. I'll look around my storage drives tomorrow and see if I can come up with something for you. You can also find filters that do similar things, but they are more manually involved.

What version are you using?