Color Buttons or Chips

Does anyone have a recipe or formula to make your own color buttons or chips?

I normally use liquid color but occasionally I need chips but not enough to buy them. So I was interested in making my own but don't know what the drops to wax ounce ratio could or should be. I know this can be a personal preference but was wondering if there was a basic starting point.

TIA

Judi

If you wanted to model it after color chips you would aim for whatever amount of dye gets you a medium shade in a pound of wax. You won't actually be able to do that because you can't cram so much liquid into the solid. Normally they're made with stearic and pure concentrated powder dye.

Your best bet might be to make wax dye chunks using something like a clamshell mold and see how concentrated you can make them. If you use regular liquid dye they will smell. You could try the stronger EVO dyes from Candlwic, which would eliminate the odor and let you make a more concentrated colorant.

Actually I think you should just add a few dye blocks to your next supplier order.