millcreek soy lotion base...

latch

I just got some in today... It is soo thick. for those who use it just how do you mix the fo with it. do you just put it all in jar and shake(which dosent seem like that would work) or do you mix in bowl and stir then add to jars?

tia

just a hint with millcreek's base you really need to get a big lotion pump, millcreek has them. then you can just pump out into a clean steralize bowl and scent. i just do small batchs 2-4-8ozs at a time i just pump it into a zip lock bag scent and snip the corner of the bag off and fill the bottle. with the lotion pump 1 full pump equals right around 1oz.

I use millcreek base, I got one of the big pumps though. I weigh out lotion into a ziplock bag, weigh out FO on a gram scale I have and add it to the bag, kneeding it in for a few mins. I use the pipettes for convenience, not to measure. even with a gram scale I've never done anything smaller than 4oz at a time though--and usually I do at least 8oz to make things simplier...weighing .445 grams is a bit of a pain (the amount of FO for 4oz)

I usually use about 5 drops an ounce, with a dropper in a small glass amber bottle. It is the recomended amount from my fragrance supplier. They usually recommend 1% usage, to be safe. I use a little less or more depending on the concentration of the fragrance, but that seems to work for me as a rule of thumb. If a supplier is recommending an ounce of fragrance per pound of wax, (kind of the way I figure the concentration), then I figure it is a normal strength and use the 5 drops per ounce of body product. I make up all sizes of product, from .25 ounce to 16 ounce. I mix in the bottle, if it is at least 2 oz. I fill out of a gallon jug with a pump to about half full, add fragrance and coloring, if they want it, then fill to about 3/4. I cap, put in microwave for JUST A VERY FEW SECONDS, shake, then finish filling and finish shaking. Probably not ideal, but it has worked for us for the last couple of years. I have found from past experience, not to overfill and not to heat too long. I have had to mix without the microwave, but it is harder.

Hope that helps.

freda

Freda, that surely helps! thanks. I actually have someone asking about getting either 1/2 ounce or one ounce sizes of lotions, but in MANY different scents to try out. This helps out alot. It wouldn't make sense to make like a dozen 8 ounce sized lotions, scoop out an ounce of it & then store the rest & hope those scents eventually sell. Plus the leftovers wouldn't be considered a fresh batch anymore. Thanks so much for your input.

for the 2oz size i use the pipettes, for 2oz of lotion i use an average of 10-15 drops, all depends on the strength of the fo and the desired strength you are looking for. 4ozs 20-30 drops, 8oz. 50-60 drops. hope this helps. i have been using mc's lotion base for about 3 yrs now and it sell great, good luck.

Carol, boy, does that ever help! Thanks so much. I'm very happy to hear your review of mc's base. I'm thinking of switching from the current one I'm using. I like it alot, but am looking for something new. I have been sampling many others out there & mc's was next on my list. I have seen alot of positive feedback on it & you've been using it for so long, that you'd be the perfect person to get a review from! You know,at times, after reading the boards, etc and seeing comments from those who make homemade products, from scratch....I often start to feel bad for using pre-made bases. Then, I start second guessing what I'm doing. But I do feel more confident using a premade base from a reputable company, that I know other people are happy with. Anyone else using premade bases, please chime in! I'd love to hear that there are others out there! Thanks again for your input.

• 3 weeks later...