Question about lye? Please I need an answer soon..

nayla40

Hi everyone I have a question for yas all and it may be a stupid one , but I gotta ask. The warehouses around here use full bags of lye in the cold storage rooms. I guess it help out with preserving the apples. They dont open the bags. They are now giving it away to whoever wants it. question is Can I use it in soaps? Like I said it has never been opened . Before I get some of it I want to make sure ill be able to use it and not waste my time with it .. Thanks for your answers Nayla40

Well, if it's free, give it a try! If it doesn't work ask them if you can return the open bag so they can dispose of it propery - that would be the only problem, if you wanted to get rid of it.

The only thing wrong I can think of is that moisture would have gotten into the bag and the NaOH would have clumped up. I wouldn't use it if it was badly clumped - your amounts would be off when you weighed. But a single batch can tell you if it's OK or not.