HTP wicks

im trying a new wick type. currently I have been using ECO 8 in my 8 oz. square mason jars. i have only tested a few candles and the scent throw is decent but i need to get more testing under my belt with different types of wicks. I was on Peaks site and they have a sample pack of there HTP's. problem is i doubt ill need half the sizes that they are going to send me. How does these wicks do in the GL 70/30 and EZ SOY blends? Before I waste my money and buy them, or should I try to find a sample pack with different types of wicks i.e. eco and htps together?

thanks for the input

I like HTPs a lot in 70/30. I think they really help the scent throw. The only thing I don't like is they tend to curl toward one side or the other, so if they aren't centered carefully you can have hang-up on one side of the candle.

It's the curling that makes the wick self trimming. By curling a bit, it puts the end of the wick into the hottest part of the flame, thus the self trim. Stiff cored wicks do not reach the hottest part of the flame to self-trim, which is why you'll (obviously) need to trim more, and you tend to see more mushrooming because of the cooler temp/more incomplete combustion.

As for the melt pool going off center, simple fix: the wick will curl towards the side with the "^" pointing up, so when you center your wick at the top of the jar (no need to adjust when affixing wick to the bottom) just off-set your placement the tiniest bit. But, your wicking should not be so borderline appropriate that that tiny bit of adjustment makes the difference between a good burn or not.