Brand Spankin' New! Have a question please

musings

Hi, I'm about as green as it gets with candle making but I am so excited about all the scents and waxes and colors and.....! I'm hoping to make some candles to sell at a couple of craft fairs this fall and see how it goes. I want to start really small and just work on mastering one type of candle before moving on to others. I was planning to make just scented votives but after reading a lot of the posts it looks like container candles would be better? Anyone that can help with advice or experience would be grately appreciated :) I really want to make good candles so I feel more comfortable just offering one kind at a time until I am experienced enough to do more.

Thanks for all of the posts here - it is a wealth of tips and advice that I appreciate very much!

Teresa

I dont want to burst your bubble, but its already the middle of August and you want to start making candles now and selling by fall? I hope you realize how much time and money goes into the testing of candles. You should test each scent with each wax, wick, dye, container, etc. first before selling a single candle. I have been making candles for around 3 years now and only selling for less than two years. I spent around $2000 on supplies to test and have as my initial inventory (which isnt very large). I tried several scents from several companies to find the ones that I felt were the "best".

Please dont think I dont want you to make candles and eventually sell them. I am just worried that you are going to put yourself in a position for possible lawsuits and angry customers.

Perfect your candle first, then worry about selling them.

Good luck in your venture and welcome to the addicting "hobby" of candle making.

Pam

Hi, thank you so much for replying! Yes, I appreciate the advice very much! I didn't even think when I was posting to include that DH is the candlemaker in the family currently :) I'm green but he isn't :) Weird eh? LOL. I checked out warning labels though because he has only made candles for us and family. I was thinking votives because that is what he has the most experience with but after reading all of posts I was thinking containers? But your advice has helped very much! I think I will stick to testing votives for now and see how that goes :) I plan to test everything thoroughly and if I'm not ready this fall, that's okay :)

Thank you so much!

Teresa