Need help with jars...

Guest highflier

Guest highflier

I have had a problem getting my wicks right in my apothacary jars. I'm using a 16oz. and 26oz. 4" dia. jar with a 2 7/8" opening. The problem I have been having is how deep the melt pool is getting in the first hour. I'm using J-223 wax and double wicking them with

44-24-18z. I get a FMP in 30 minutes and in the first hour the melt pool is 1/4" deep and after 2 hours the melt pool is 3/4" deep. Then I burn the same candle the next day and I get a FMP in 1 hour with it being about a 1/4" deep. It is 1/2" deep at 2 hours and 1/2" in 3 hours. That is what I am looking for. I finally figured out that the reason it burns to fast on the first burn is because the wicks are new and they are burning alot bigger and hotter and are getting the jar very hot. This heat is transferring down the jar and melting the wax to fast. I dont know how to get around this other then getting a jar with a bigger opening at the top of the jar (like 3.5" opening). Or is there something I can do different with the wick. I would hate to tell me customers that you can only burn the candle for 2 hours the first time. I have also noticed the flames burn off to the side on the first burn putting even more heat into the jar. The flames will not burn straight up. And there is no draft causing the flames to burn off to the side, I already checked for that. Anyone know what is causing this?

So my question is, is there anything I can do different on this first burn?

And also where can a get a jar from a manufacture that is like the apothecary jar with a bigger opening. Also is there another jar that is the same diameter that has the bigger opeing.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the great post here,

Mike

Guest highflier

I'm still not having any luck finding a jar with a bigger mouth at the opening. Am I the only one having this problem with this jar? LOL. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike