Thin Shower Gel

LauraInNY

I have been trying the BCN base for Aloe Body & Hair Wash and I have been following the instructions for the amounts of FO to add, but it always gets runny. AARRGGHH!!! I used 3/8 of a tsp for 8 oz. (as directed on BCN website). While searching for a solution, I have seen where the addition of crothix (liquid thickener) can help, but will this ruin the effectiveness of the perservatives?

Does anyone else have this problem and what can I do to fix it. I can try adding less FO, but I am worried that the scent will not show after showering. I thought there was supposed to be a lingering scent after showering. Is this true or is there only supposed to be scent during the shower and that is what the lotion and body spray is for? Also, will the scent get stronger after it sets for awhile?

TIA, Laura

I would like to know this too. I always have to add more of the gel and then it's okay. I have tried the crothix but then the gel is not clear or atleast it wasn't for me. That was a long time ago so I don't remember the details but I know I didn't like it..

I read too once that adding salt, like table salt would help but in my experience it only made it worse......:sad2:

Best bet would be to contact BCN and ask them what they recommend for thickening it.

My first instinct would be to add crothix, but like you said, not sure if it would compromise the preservative or not. ???

Thanks for your help ladies.

So I called BCN and talked to them. They said I can add crothix as long as it's less than 1% and the preservative will be fine.

She also said that by mixing such small amounts I am going to have a harder time mixing and keeping it thick. if I use larger amounts it should mix well and not be too thin. If I mix a gallon at a time at just under 1oz of FO, I should be able to get a good mix with a "super scent" (her words not mine). I asked her about the shelf life of the scented bath wash and she said "1 year".

Hopefully, it won't take that long to sell a gallon of bath wash - LOL. I know that with a family of 5 it doesn't take that long for us to use a gallon of the stuff.

I think I'm going to get some crothix and try it to see if it works (just out of curiosity - you all know how it is - not that I'm looking for a reason to place another order - nope, not me...LOL)

Hope this helps someone else...