alright guys enlighten me please

Im having an issue with determining "slushy"

This is what I do when i pour a candle....Heat wax basically till all is melted which is around 180 F. Take off heat right away and add Fo at around 140 F.

Then I sit and wait and wait till the temp drops but never acually seen it get "slushy" yet.

Now the last time I made a candle I stuck my pour bucket in a shallow bed of ice cold water to speed the cooling temp. but what wound up happening is the wax at the bottom of the container got really cool too fast and started to harden. :confused: So the wax came down to about 115 F and I decided to pour ( couldnt wait any longer :tongue2: ) but never saw a "slush" consistancey

The wax had a slight fogginess to it and you could tell it was cooler.

So my question is.....does it take a really long time for the wax to drop in temp? Alot longer than I think?

And approx. how long do some of you guys have to wait till you can pour.

By the way I use EZ SOy container wax

Okay, when it's cooling, the first stage is to see a thin film of cooling wax along the top and a little bit of a film along the side and, what I usually see, a small trail up from the bottom. Stir well, incorporate the cooling wax back into the warmer wax, and wait. It will start to get opaque, a little thicker, and still...wait. Suddenly, you will see it, and say, "Oh! THAT'S slushy." It's very obvious, but it takes a while to get there...it sounds like you've never gotten that far with the cooling process. It really looks like a thinned out milkshake. When you pour it, it will pour in a larger stream, since it's so cool.

I know this is frustrating, but it really all depends on your area and the weather conditions there, sometimes, as well. In the winter, I can pour when it's syrupy, at the middle stage, where it's getting opaque, but not slushy, but in the warm, humid months, if I don't wait for the slush, I'm out of luck with the aesthetic look of the finished product.

Also, I know most soy users don't do this, but I've found that, especially when it's NOT 100* outside, I have to slightly heat my jars to eliminate wetspots. If there's a large discrepancy between the jar temp and the wax, then I get nasty air pockets that I could drive my car through.

HTH, and hang in there! I've been using EZ soy for about 2 years, and while I've had my share of frustrations, I'm overall very happy with it...once I've gotten to know it. It's a very quirky beast.