Question about mottling...

I was looking through the gallery, and someone had posted a pic of a mottled candle. She said she got the look by adding mineral oil, dye, and fo to the wax. (and I read somewhere else that mineral oil is how you get mottling) Someone posted saying that she didn't need the mineral oil to get the mottling because she used fo. I don't understand...with the few candles I've made, I've almost always used fo, and have never seen mottling. Can anyone explain what she meant by not needing mineral oil since she was using fo? (I would post this question in that thread, but it would take me forever to find it again) :)

I'm not real great at explainining things, so hope this makes sense- since fragrance oil is an oil, it works the same as the mineral oil. If you were to add vybar or UA to your wax along with the FO (which is probably what is happening in your case), you wouldn't get the mottling. Using the FO alone or adding stearic will give you the mottle.

Just wax I bought in a craft store with a MP of 145. (I have ordered some better quality wax and should receive it this week) And I'm pouring them around 175 or so. So I shouldn't get any mineral oil? Just use more fo?

First what wax are you using, because if you use a preblend you aren't going to get mottling. A preblend has the additives in it and generally something that cuts the mottling. Second, it's a waste to use FO and mottling oil (IMO). You can get the mottling with just FO or with just mottling oil so why use both? To save on FO, because MO might be cheaper? Really the mottling oil is better to use for unscented candles. It replaces the FO, which helps with release.

If you're going for a mottle, just use a little more FO. In my formula I use about 1.2 oz of FO and get what I want with very little slimy results.

I think it's easier to get a mottle by pouring hot and cooling slower, but if I get around to posting my marbled mottles, these weren't cooled slowly. Nor were the poured hot, hot. So I think the FO amount is the first trigger for a mottle and the heat helps it along.

Thanks scented, and everyone else. I think I'm understanding mottling a little better. Apparently the reason I haven't seen any mottling is because I don't use much fo. I might increase it and see what I come up with. (I'm loving the creative aspects of candle making...SOOOOOO many different combinations create SOOOOOO many different things) :)