What do you do?

beesweet

What do you do when you have someone who ignores requests for payment??

A little background...I did a fundraiser with a youth football group last fall and they requested a few extra cases to sell. Since I had worked with them several times, I thought nothing of doing this and let them slide on paying for them for a few months. It has now been several months :embarasse and I have called my contact repeatedly with no progress. Every time she says she'll take care of it with the treasurer and that they still have a few left unsold then I never hear back. She is my only contact and I have no idea how to find out who else to speak with. I'm not familiar with the area or schools/groups since it is over an hour away. She did sign a receipt saying they'll pay for and/or return any unsold items.

It's only $144 but this burns my a$$ and I need the money. I guess that just goes to show you can't trust people even when you've known them for years.

Thanks for any advice!

:waiting: If you have tried everything else, and it did not work,send her a past due notice and tell here that her account will be forwarded to your collections company. Send a copy of the paper she signed paper.

OR

You can always embarrass her to and show up at the football games and ask her for the money for the candles she owes you right in front of all her friends and fellow parents!!

Embarrassment is a great tool !!:embarasse

At this point the principal of the situation would get to me and I think I would embarrass her in front of her friends.

(I am in evil mode today!!):tiptoe:

What a thief!!!!:mad:

If you have a mailing address for this organization, send a certified copy of the PAST DUE bill.... and request that payment be made upon receipt, or it will be turned over to a collection agency, or mention that you will file a complaint thru them in Magistrate court..... either way, they have had ample time to get you the money.... just my 2 cents:)

Thanks, guys. I mailed a copy of the receipt with the terms highlighted and a past due note. I only have her address but also have her work address. If I don't here back from her at the beginning of the week, I plan to call the school and see what I can find out. (They are out for spring break this week.) I also have an email to one of the other mother's at the school that I had done another fundraiser with if she gets back to me. It has been a few years since that one, so I'm hoping the email address is good.

I'm all for embarrassment at this point...must be something evil in the air! ;) LOL

I think you're getting the run around although a football group could be a seasonal organization. I agree, send a past due invoice but also call the boro. The local municipality should have record who the principals of this group are. While you're on the phone with the boro ask how to collect money from this group. Once you know the how & who you're dealing with contact the treasurer directly via phone. If you can/can't talk to them send a past due invoice to the treasurer cert mail, pay for postal signature service-making them sign for a collection note sends a message. Up the collection effort if you have to using the timeframe & methods the boro recommends.

It would probably get local media attention if the football group treasurer had to appear in court to settle a debt. Nasty ? Yeah, but so is being stiffed by folks working with kids.

If she's making excuses about the treasurer, I would tell her, "Give me a phone number and I will call her myself, or you can give me her address and I will pay her a visit. Apparently, she must not be getting your messages and I need to collect this money from her, as it is quite past due."

She will probably realize her goose is cooked, after she's tried to pin everything on the treasurer, who may not even be aware of the situation.

I wouldn't hesitate to let her know that I would contact the school to obtain information about the "treasurer" if she pretends she doen't have her phone number on her or something like that. If she tries to pull that, tell her "well, I will just try to get that from the school. I'm sure they aren't going to be very happy to learn this is going on."

Well, it turns out that this football league is not controlled by the school though they use the same mascot and everything. :confused: I dug through files from a few years ago and located the name of another parent I had done a fundraiser with (different age group) and spoke with her. Apparently, though she would not say anything specific, she was not surprised that they hadn't paid me (no love lost there!). She gave me the email address for the person who heads that age group (seems she is just as bad as the woman I've dealt with all this time) and offered to speak with the 2 men who are over the entire league if they don't pay me right away to see if they can force the issue. This lady was quite upset, too, that her group hadn't been given the opportunity to participate in the fundraiser as they had done it as one large group since the first time until now. I have a feeling I probably got the rumor mill started today, but, oh, well!

I'll give them a week to get payment here, then up the pressure however I need to! :whip: Thanks so much for the support and encouragement! :)