Candle Accident?

Potential problem....what do you think?

I gave a few tealights to a friend that sells partylite. She told me tonight that she put the tealight in a votive glass, lit the candle, and said that glass votive holder shattered within two minutes! I asked if she trimmed the wick and she doesn't remember. She discussed it with another partylite friend and was told that the wax was too hot.

Here's my theory.....wick maybe wasn't trimmed, but I question the integrity of her votive holder. Maybe it was weak? The wax temp shouldn't matter, it's already in a plastic container. I'm burning two tealights from the same batch as I type...one trimmed in a votive jar, one not trimmed in a votive jar. The tops of the jars are a little hot to the touch, but it's been burning for 30 minutes and they haven't shattered.

I'm thinking of giving her another tealight and a new votive jar, apologizing, and asking her to try again.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the counsel and wisdom!

Chris

A friend of mine also has party lite holders. She put a votive of mine in one to their votive holders and it cracked it. In your case, I would question the holder, not your tealight. In my case, I may question the holder as well, as a friend of hers has the exact same holder and she burned a votive in it and it broke as well. (not one of mine) Their holders are made to fit their votives which are much smaller than the average votive. So that could have been the problem for me as well. People just don't forsee the problems that we do when burning. For me, it would have been a no brainer. That is how party lite makes their money, you can only burn their candles in their containers.

I think it boils down to the votive holder or the glass. I don't want to be associated with bad taste but many of these holders are made sub par by 10 year old asian kids. Not something I want to have a hot flame burning in while I sleep. Be very careful.

Hope I didn't offend anyone......:grin2:

Potential problem....what do you think?

I gave a few tealights to a friend that sells partylite. She told me tonight that she put the tealight in a votive glass, lit the candle, and said that glass votive holder shattered within two minutes! I asked if she trimmed the wick and she doesn't remember. She discussed it with another partylite friend and was told that the wax was too hot.

Hey Chris, did the "plastic" tealight cup melt? If it did not then you KNOW it was not your fault. Would not make sense if the plastic did not get hot enough to melt yet the glass cracked from the heat. Sounds like cheap glass.

Most of what party lite sells these days is crappy stuff. The first few years I bought from them I really liked their stuff and some of their scents were my favorite ones. The past few years though, the quality has drastically gone down, IMO.

If the candle burned for a few minutes and the glass shattered, it wasn't your candle that did it, unless that tealight had a HTP 1212 in it and wasn't trimmed at all, then I might say, you might want to look at your product.

It is Party Lite, I have had one of there big chunky holders break with my votive. It was a 2 pc set and only one of them busted. I have some of there more expensive holders that I won't burn my candles in. They are crap and most of them are thin glass. If you check the temp of one of there votives burning, they burn cooler.