Painted candles...

Hey...I tried to make a blue pillar candle with a white painted palmetto tree (the state tree of South Carolina), but it came out looking like a kid painted the tree on it. I cut a stencil out of a transparency for the tree, and used candle paint that I found in a craft store. There's no way I could make these consistently enough for sale. There HAS to be a way to make a good, consistent, white palmetto tree on a candle. I've thought about embedding a pic of the tree in the candle, but I sure would like it painted on the outside. Anyone have experience with painting on candles?

Thanks for any information. :)

If you are looking for consistency you may want to find a palmetto tree cookie cutter. Then you could either overdip a white pillar in blue wax. Then cut out the palmetto tree with the cookie cutter. Or you could make white palmetto tree embeds using the cookie cutter. Just pour white wax onto a cookie sheet and cut out the trees when the wax starts to set up - like you make chunks. Then place the tree against the side of your mold before pouring the blue pillar. And post pictures. We want to see.

Have you tried using a stylus? Put your drawing up against the candle then trace around it's outlines with a stylus (they're used for embossing card) then paint in the grooves left by the stylus. You may find that you get a more professional look that way. Here's a thread where this method was demonstrated: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13846&highlight=stylus

I'll try to take a pic with my digital camera today and post a pic of the candle. (warning...I'm no professional.....YET) :)

And thanks so much for the suggestions. Y'all are always so helpful!

I'm trying to post a pic of this candle, but apparently I'm not allowed to post pics. It says at the bottom "you may not post attachments". Is that how everyone posts pics? And if so, how do I request the ability to post attachments? Thanks! :)

Have you tried using a stylus? Put your drawing up against the candle then trace around it's outlines with a stylus (they're used for embossing card) then paint in the grooves left by the stylus. You may find that you get a more professional look that way. Here's a thread where this method was demonstrated: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13846&highlight=stylus

LOL Mozzie! You Rock! Here I am and I can't believe I forgot that! And I have been using mine almost daily...Geez!

I'm trying to post a pic of this candle, but apparently I'm not allowed to post pics. It says at the bottom "you may not post attachments". Is that how everyone posts pics? And if so, how do I request the ability to post attachments? Thanks! :)

I dont know why that would say that to you....maybe ask a Mod?

sharyl, those are great suggestions...thanks! The thought of overdipping a white candle into blue wax crossed my mind...but I didn't think I'd be able to find a Palmetto tree cookie cutter. But I'm certainly going to look on the net for one.

Edit for this post...unbelievable...the VERY first website I went to looking for cookie cutters had the PerFECT palmetto tree. I'm so excited. :)