Good but nervewracking news for me.

Mei-Mei

I'm excited but nervous.

I was in the French Quarter with a friend today shopping at a little specialty clothing boutique that carries a large line of candles. I was looking at the candles (and marveling at the poor quality--bumpy tops, sweating) when my friend said to the owner, "My friend here makes candles that are much better than these!!!" She then goes on this little spiel about the different scents I make and how nice they smell.

Well I was mortified, but the owner of the shop was intrigued. She said she really wanted to carry candles from a local chandler, and that I should bring her some samples. I can't believe it! Seriously, I'm in complete and total shock. The boutique was really nice. Very high class. It would be a coup if one of my candles was in that boutique.

I'm nervous because I don't know what to do next! Obviously I should make sample packet, right? But what happens after that?:o

edited for spelling!

Guest EMercier
:grin2: OK, so you take that lady some of your candles! I'd be excited! I'm sure you are, but this is maybe the first time. I would make a brochure or flyer of sorts that gives your prices if they buy wholesale. Then I would take a small sample along and see what happens next. I'm sure someone else will chime in, since I don't have any wholesale accounts right now.

That is so exciting! Okay, here's what I recommend for you:

Decide on your wholesale terms before you go. I recommend something like the following:

-Minimum of 4 of each fragrance in your larger containers, minimum of 6 of each fragrance of smaller ones.

-Offer a tester for 1/2 price for every 4 (or 6 of the smaller ones) candles they order. NOT free, but 1/2 price.

-Turn around time of 3-4 weeks (or whatever you think is appropriate)

-Make sure you have sniffies of each fragrance you carry (in a nicely presented way), not full candles, unless that's all you have. I pour mine into flat 4 oz tins, so there's a large sniffing space, but it still looks clean and simple.

-Take in a preprinted order form, with wholesale prices on there, so you can either leave it with her, or even better, take the order right there!

Personally, the best advice I can give you is to let your candles do the talking. I'm sure you have amazing stuff, and my tendency is to blabber when I get nervous. I just shut up and make a HUGE effort to respond in monosyllables to comments that don't need a direct answer, and when they ask me questions, I answer as succinctly and compactly as possible, so I don't get all, "oh my gosh, this is totally the most awesome fragrance ever, it's from this place online called XYZ scents and they carry like fifty million fragrances and I've had the hardest time deciding which ones to carry because they're all awesome and cool and so neat and I love making candles and I love you too."

Also, did you note the price points on the candles she currently carries? I can tell you that the high-end boutique that carries my stuff wouldn't have looked twice if I had priced them lower. They're targeting a specific market and they're not interested in selling containers for less than a certain amount. So, if you currently are undervaluing your candles, I would definitely bump it up.

Be confident and you'll do great! Can't wait to hear about how it goes and how much she orders!

Guest EMercier
I pour mine into flat 4 oz tins, so there's a large sniffing space, but it still looks clean and simple.

That's a good idea! I should invest in some, or I could just use the 1/2 oz ones I got from walmart.

don't get all, "oh my gosh, this is totally the most awesome fragrance ever, it's from this place online called XYZ scents and they carry like fifty million fragrances and I've had the hardest time deciding which ones to carry because they're all awesome and cool and so neat and I love making candles and I love you too."

Hey!... daniedb, have you been tapping into my shop owner conversations?!

Mei-Mei, Just "work it like you own it" & you'll do great :yes:

"oh my gosh, this is totally the most awesome fragrance ever, it's from this place online called XYZ scents and they carry like fifty million fragrances and I've had the hardest time deciding which ones to carry because they're all awesome and cool and so neat and I love making candles and I love you too."

LOL...that's exactly something I would say, too!

The shop carries Illume right now (and I think Voluspa) so I definitely need to keep my things in a higher price bracket. I wanted to do that anyway, because in my area the market responds to more 'boutique-y' things.

Thanks for the advice I've gotten so far!

Good for YOU!!

The Voluspa Container Candles are retailing for $32.00 in Dallas. I think they have fairly unique fragrances and of course those boxes can't be missed. It has been awhile since I purchased an Illume candle ( Love their Smokey Topaz....anyone have a dupe of that?) but I like them and have respect for the line.

Congrats! I think that your candles will be in great company with those two lines. AWESOME Opportunity!