dumb question...tea light melt pool

Hi. Just got this really neat tea light holder at a liquidation center today. So of course, I needed to pour a tea light. Now for the dumb part...do they get melt pools? If so, how deep and what keeps the wick from falling over unless it is a zinc? Well, it looks really cute sitting in it and even if it doesn't burn, it looks great! TIA. Beth

Usually tealights come in disposable metal or plastic cups, and are designed to totally liquefy and consume itself in about four hours. Making tealights is a pretty tedious job, unless you're making scented ones for a special occasion.

HTH! :grin2:

geek

I finally just resolved to making unscented/uncolored tealights with 100% soy and the tedious testing is over!! Plus how much scent can you get from a tealight...it's just not worth it. But they are great for holders and using for tart burners. I've got a few customers that have massage therapy and other holistic type therapy that they don't want scent anyway.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Beth for asking this question about tealight melt pools, and thank you 'geek' for responding. I recently began making soy tealights with HTP-31 wicks and have a few additional questions:

* I can see the wick base after 30 minutes of burning, although the oil has not reduced significantly in height. Is this normal?

* How does the container type, plastic versus aluminum, affect melt pool depth, wax temperature, and burn rate?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

I finally just resolved to making unscented/uncolored tealights with 100% soy and the tedious testing is over!! Plus how much scent can you get from a tealight...it's just not worth it. But they are great for holders and using for tart burners. I've got a few customers that have massage therapy and other holistic type therapy that they don't want scent anyway.

My last round of tealights were strong...one tealight would fill the bedroom with scent.

Chris

I always make the unscented t-lites with soy container wax. The LX 8 works great and just a little bit of a glue dot holds it so it won't slip. I bought some small glue dots for scrap booking and just touch the wick tab to the glue dot then stick in clear t-lite cups. With the LX 8 you can get at least 6 hrs burn time. When you get your wicks be sure to get the small tabs, they fit right in the endents in the cup.