specific wicks, self trimming ? for soy candles ?

Hi there ,

We are on the verge of a pretty big order through my work of thousands of soy container candles. But I do have a query, we are still trying to iron out a few things .....

The lady who wants to give us the order has mentioned she saw in a shop a certain type of wick, self trimming, which sort of curls off as it burns. She says it was on a soy candle. I am sure there is specific wicks for soy, but what types are they and do they do this sort of thing or is there another type of self trimming wicks ??

Help would be much appreciated, Although I have made candles for many years, we are going to try and give this big order of soy a go, fingers crossed. I know from what I have read that soy can be temperamental.

Thanks,

Robyn :-)

The HTP, CD and ECO wicks are "self-trimming," that is they are flat braid coreless wicks that curl to one side after lighting. I'm pretty sure that is what your friend saw. Those three wicks are the most commonly used in soy.

And yes indeed, soy can be temperamental. Youcan find lots of info on certain brands of soy on this board. In some cases, soy is easy to work with, and sometimes it can be a real headache. But it's not that bad, really! :grin2:

geek

Hi there Geekrunner,

Thanks for the info, will also look into those type u mentioned. I did come across another type which also curls and ideal for soy, only going by what Im reading, havent tried. They are called RRD wicks, candlewic also sell it, says it curls, self trimming and ideal for vegetable based candles. I also realised looking thru my junk at home , I have about 200 ft of different sized RRD wicks , will also test with these, but will look into all the types available , also the one you mentioned.

As for pouring soy into containers, would I have to lightly heat gun the containers before pouring ? Just wondering if it will give a better result if i warm the container this way before pouring.

Thanks for your message,

As for pouring soy into containers, would I have to lightly heat gun the containers before pouring ? Just wondering if it will give a better result if i warm the container this way before pouring.

For soy, the jar can be room temp but if you're in a colder room it doesn't hurt to give 'em a little heat gun shot, just to knock the chill off of them.

geek

Hi ,

in reference to Iamamommytwo or Sheri's earlier message about self trimming wicks , I did read about Lx wicks , but the sites I have read do also recommend RRD wicks as the ysay , self trimming with a curling feature. Which is what this lady was seeking.

This is an extract about RRD wicks which does mention they are excellent for vegetable container candles .......

RRD Wicks ..

This is a round wick with a uniquely braided cotton core designed with tension threads that give the wick a slight, but effective, curl during combustion. The wick is directional in that capillary action flows more freely in one direction. Due to their intricate design, the RRD series provides a centered burn pool, self-trimming burn characteristics and a consistently high rate of fuel flow.

These wicks work well with viscous fuels such as vegetable wax, gels and one pours. They are effective in containers and especially useful in pillars due to their concentric burn pools.

This extract came from a site called " Wicks Unlimited ", the link is http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wedo_candle_wicks.php