Astrolite Q question

I have been using only soy since I started making candles about a year ago. I want to change the type of soy I am using and also try some other vegetable based waxes. I got some Atrolite Q and I really like the look of this wax! I agree that the scent throw may not be as good as in my soy, but some of my scents have worked wonderfully. I am just in the testing stage for now.

My question is for the white or very pastel colors that I have made. As they burn down, the wax picks up a tan color to is and doesn't stay the original color. In my tests, I have used a HTP-104 and CD-14 wicks. Have any of you had this happen and do you know what I can do to avoid it? I love the crystal white of the Astrolite Q and will be sorry if I have to color them all!

I appreciate all your help,

carey

I don't use the astorlite PQ, but do use palm wax. It's funny, but if you search through the archives there seems to be a difference of opinion as to how palm throws. Some say it's fantastic, while others say it's worse than paraffin. I don't feel like I have been making palm candles long enough to have an opinion. I can say that the one candle I did make that threw like the dickens was a palm container candle. I used only 1 oz./ppo and it was so strong, it gave me a headache. I think that most likely a lot of it will depend on the FO itself, but like I said, I don't really know at this point.

As far as the wax changing colors after it burns, I have only noticed that on my purple palm candles...but it only changes to a different shade of purple. Hmm, I wonder could it actually be the dye you're using? Anyway, just a thought. I have no other color changes on any of palm candles.

I've experienced the ugly tan conversion too! My candle was a 12 oz Metro Jar container candle made with Astorlite Q wax, 1/2 oz/lb WYW Pear Tart FO, and couple drops of Hunter Green liquid dye from Peaks. The candle looked gorgeous at first, a beautiful bright green, the crystal pattern was really pretty and it had very good cold throw, IMO. I forgot to mention - there was no wick, this was a wickless candle burned on a candle warmer. During the first melt, the hot throw was ok :undecided but the color of the candle went from that beautiful green to a down right and ugly tannish/green color. Yuck! I was SO disappointed. It even stayed that nasty color when it had completely cooled too. Frustrating!

This was my first experience with this type of wax so I figured it's just another opportunity for me to learn. At least that's what I keep telling myself... :wink2:

I'm hoping that my dye was the culprit in this case because I just LOVE this unique wax and would hate to find out that it's color changes when melted. I'll try to keep you posted as I try other variations of FO, and dye in my attempts to reduce the appearance of this nasty tan!

That is very interesting. I thought it might have something to do with the carbonization of the wick or something like that, but if you had the color change too - hmmmmm...

I didn't see this problem in the ones I did with a darker or more intense hue. They stayed the same, just had it happen with the light pastels and especially the white.

Thanks for your input. I guess until I figure out what is happening, I may have to stay away from the white and pastels.:tongue2:

Carey