Double layered candles

For anyone that does layered colored jars, how long do you let the first colored layer set up before adding the second. I always thought that It should be kind of firm, but still warm. I have only done vanilla/cranberry colored candles and the cranberry ALWAYS seeps into the lighter color. ANysuggestions???

I have been doing triple layers lately and do as Deb suggests - however, if I forget to check and the 1st layer sets up too firmly, I zap it a bit with the heat gun.

I even tried setting my timer but frequently get sidetracked so once again the heatgun comes to the rescue!

I also pour slowly around the entire top of the candle as opposed to just pouring in one spot....

Have fun - I just love the doubles and triples!

Debbie

I wait until the bottom layer is set up fairly firm, but not set-up so much that it's pulled away from the glass. If you don't wait long enough, the colors will bleed together. When I have a much lighter color on bottom, I make sure to wait a little longer and make sure I don't pour the next layer too hot.

At first when I am done, it looks like things have gone perfectly. Then as time goes on the color starts to bleed down. I wonder if cooling the jars more slowly would stop the bottom half from shrinking away before the top half has had enough time to harden. Did that make sense??