another ? about pryme colors

HI,

first let me start by saying that this board is great! I've been making candles for about 7 months now and just found the BC board--and someone there directed me here...who would have thought that there was so much infomation and help after I'd been winging it forever..lol

I have been using the reddiglo chips in my soy since the beginning but I'm getting tired of the same dulled muted colors over and over--I have to settle for the same colors over and over because mixing with chips is difficult at best--these pryme colors look like a miracle and the reviews on here have been promising but I have to ask....how much do you really get out of the bottles for use?? I was looking at buying the full set but am curious how long they would actually last considering the ratios they give for mixes. I currently make 20-30 candles a week (still starting out, testing etc) and can't see paying $100 for dyes if I'm having to replace them every month. just not cost effective--so approx how many canndles CAN you color before you're restocking? thanks

LOL, you know I think I've been afraid to figure it out. Right now I feel too lazy to do the math but I invite you to crunch the numbers. I think you can assume .5% usage rate as a worst case scenario.

Lately I've been pouring a lot of scent testers in 6oz tins. My spreasheet automagically figures out material costs when I plug in percentage formulas. It's been costing 1 to 3 cents to color the tins.

I like the colors, but to keep a full complement of all three (Fade, Base, Plus) would be pricey. I could see someone just buying the Plus and figuring out drops to get the shade they want. I'm getting my best color results from the Fade and Base groups.

The big drawback for me is making small batches and weighing out 2-3 grams of the stuff at a time. I'm needing to find out how many drops of each shade group constitutes a gram, then I can get more consistent colr from one candle to the next. Maybe sometime in the future I can get enough business to make bigger batches and make measuring easier.

geek

I like the colors, but to keep a full complement of all three (Fade, Base, Plus) would be pricey. I could see someone just buying the Plus and figuring out drops to get the shade they want. I'm getting my best color results from the Fade and Base groups.

The big drawback for me is making small batches and weighing out 2-3 grams of the stuff at a time. I'm needing to find out how many drops of each shade group constitutes a gram, then I can get more consistent colr from one candle to the next. Maybe sometime in the future I can get enough business to make bigger batches and make measuring easier.

geek

Geek, I got familiar with those yorker caps from using them on FO bottles. 3 drops should be about a tenth of a gram. That's how I do test candles with the Pryme colors. See how it works out for you.

It's true that people may not need the full assortment. It's a matter of how you prefer to use the colors. Personally I'd go for the Base and the Plus. A small amount of Base is usually subtle enough for me and doesn't gobble up as much of the FO retention as say 1% Fade.

The bottles these come in waste more color than making the candles. If you do buy them get yourself some bottles with glass droppers. Much easier to use unless you just leave the stopper top off all the time. Messy...

Depending on if you will be making very dark colors all the time I would say they will still last a long time.

I have some liquid colors (RusticEscentuals.com) that are over three years old.

thanks for the thoughts on these colors...I think I'm going to go with the EVO's for now and see if I like those before spending so much on dyes right now. I'm STILL (gawd..does it ever end?? lol) in the testing phase, and I guess the price tag for the whole set is giving me sticker shock right now :) though I don't know why after the order I placed the other day for FO's lol