Insurance????

funnygirl

Does anyone carry product liability insurance for their bath and body? I asked my company thats doing my candle PLI and they said its really hard to get it for B&B. The number $25,000/yr came up!!!!!

OMG! How can anyone thats not a gigantic corp. pay that? If anyone has it and its affordable, please post where you get it from.

How many of you carry it? Do you just not carry it and risk it?

I feel so bummed out, cause I just bought this VERY expensive soy body butter base and some yummy body FO's that match my candles and was gonna slap it up on my site when I thought I should check with my agent first. I guess my skins gonna be really smooth for the next 10 years. :undecided

I have insurance for both my B&B and candles. I wouldn't operate without it. I got a pretty good deal with my insurance company and had no problem getting it. I was worried because I too had heard that insurance can be kind of tough to find. Good luck. :)

Insurance is getting very hard to find. $25K is a wee excessive :) when I've seen people quoted (which is rare), I'm seeing $2k maybe. Some states are much easier to find insurance. For example, someone I know has Hartford. Another soaper heard that and called (same state even), and she was told Hartford doesnt insure B&B. Go figure.

Good luck on your search!

What state are you in? It makes a difference. Also, tell your agent that you are scenting pre-made bases, rather than mixing your own. That might make a difference. When I added B&B to my candle line in Wisconsin, they told me it would be really expensive at first, but after they got a few quotes it turned out to not be so bad. I actually get coverage for Candles and B&B for $550/yr. Check out this site: http://www.candlecauldron.com/insurance.html, and suggest those companies to your agent to get quotes. My agent didn't have a clue what companies to check out.

Good luck!

This may be a really stupid question but, if a person only makes wax tarts are they going to need to have the insurance for candles? I am really new to this selling stuff so it is just something I was curious about since there is no flame involved with the tarts. I realize that product liability is for the product to protect in the case of a claim but wouldn't tarts be less of a liability than say making a candle with the wicks since there is no flame? At this time I mostly make things and give to friends, most of my candles are for my use but when I sell it is normally the tarts that I sell so was just curious about this. I don't make enough off of anything to afford insurance and it is more of a hobby at this point than a business even though I have been making candles and tarts for the past 5 years! I also realize that if someone wanted to, they could make a claim against me for the defective product in the way of tarts so I am aware of that. Again, maybe a stupid question but just wanted to ask anyway!

I would say if its only tarts for family and friends I personally wouldnt worry too much. I didnt carry insurance for my candles when it was just for family and friends. But, now that I am selling online, even if I only did tarts I would carry the insurance, because you never know what some person might do, and wax and FO still have a flash point and could ignite even though there is no wick, if a person does something crazy with them, LOL. People are so sue happy these days, I would just be afraid to take chances. JMO.

I definetly understand that! I don't sell that many of anything other than to people that I know so I am hoping they don't go and do something stupid then come back on me but sometimes those can be the worst people there are and I am sorry to say that but it seems to be true in most cases. I enjoy doing what I do so for me it is relaxing and gives me something to look forward to once the kids are in school and I have the house cleaned up. Of course when I pull all of my supplies out there is a HUGE mess but it sure is fun making it and the rewards are even better! I have checked into insurance of course, I'm just not at a point right now where I feel I can afford it for one and then like I said, with me just doing this mostly for family and a few friends I am hoping it is not necessary yet.