?'s for those who use terra cotta pots

I found these really beautiful terra cotta clay pots at the Dollar Tree.

[ATTACH]5397[/ATTACH]

My mother saw them at my house and asked if I could make her a candle in one of them. I told her I had no idea but would look into it. Upon researching, I discovered that unsealed terra cotta pots are very pourous and can become a fire hazard if not sealed properly. My question is: I got some Mod Podge and was planning on using that to seal the clay pots. How many coats should I use? The back of the bottle says that if you are using it as a sealant, to apply a thin coat and wait 15-20 minutes. I could have sworn I read somewhere and now cannot remember to save my life where I read it at, that because the pots are very porous one coat is not enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Theresa

post-1035-139458396584_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jenn. Sorry I didn't mean to exclude you. I hit submit and had to walk away from my computer and came back saw that you had replied under Trae's reply.

I was thinking that one coat was not going to be enough. I did 2 coats last night and will do the other 2 today.

Thanks,

Theresa

Those are very pretty, and what a deal. ;)

I paint my own pots and like the others have already mentioned, I do at LEAST 3 coats of the modge podge, inside AND out, just to be extra safe.

I've never had one become a fire hazaard although I did have a couple get really scorched looking at the tops while testing wicks. The modge podge must have burned cuz I couldn't even wash it off. :(

But, now that I know which wicks fit with which size pot I don't have that problem anymore. ;)

JFYI