Infusing Herbs For Color

eugenia

I just got a set from FNWL. They are 2 ounces each. I've read about folks infusing them in the crockpot, but the quantity was much larger. Can I heat olive oil, add the 2 oz sample and leave in a sunny window, like sun tea? How much oil would I use for 2 oz of herbs.?

e

I do not measure anything out- I just watch it and use the oil when it is the color that I want. The oil will be very dark but when you use it in your soaps it lightens up a lot.

A good rule of thumb for me is about 2 weeks....

Alot of it depends on what you are infusing, what oil you are using, and the color that you want to achieve.

It you provide more info. than I might be able to give you more specifics.

HTH.

That will be interesting with them being in powder form.... I have always used the seed, leaf, flower but whole. I place mine in a muslin bag in olive oil.

It is my experience that olive oil works the best.

We will have to rely on someone else for the answer in dealing with powders. I have not used them like that because I just wanted the color and not the additive in the soap. So I just color the oil.

Does anyone know about using herbs for color in powder form? :)

Hi, I recently bought a book on infusing herbs to make color. When you make your color, it really just depends on your personal preference and how deep you want the color. The guideline is usually 2-3 teaspoons of herbs per 3-4 tablespoons of carrier oil, like olive or sweet almond. You can just experiment with your amounts to get the desired color.

If you are using powdered herbs, an easy way to do it is to infuse your oils, then strain them through a coffee filter or cheesecloth into your bottles.

Since you are only infusing for color, and not for the plant essence, you can actually mix your oil and herbs together and throw it in the microwave for a couple minutes, then strain it and bottle it. The heat will make the color come out. You shouldn't have to let it sit for weeks like you would with infused oils.

HTH

Katie