Question about oil

Sweet68cam

I have done some research and have not found a clear answer...can you use pure vegetable oil to make soap?? Mixed with other oils of course..such as coconut and olive..but can you use vegetable oil?? May sound like a dumb question but I am very new to cp soap making and need to know...TIA :)

Yes you can. All forms of vegetable oil are some type of oil, and what type they are can be found on the label, under ingredients. If there are more than one type of oil making up the vegetable oil, you'd need to know the percentages. You'd have to contact the maker to find out, sometimes you'll get an answer, sometimes not.

When you figure your recipe, run the oils through a lye calculator. Oils can't be used interchangably.

Yes you can. All forms of vegetable oil are some type of oil, and what type they are can be found on the label, under ingredients. If there are more than one type of oil making up the vegetable oil, you'd need to know the percentages. You'd have to contact the maker to find out, sometimes you'll get an answer, sometimes not.

When you figure your recipe, run the oils through a lye calculator. Oils can't be used interchangably.

Thank you very much, this helps alot!!;)

okay this is strange....I just went and looked at the ingredients for my vegetable oil. I have 2 Crisco All Natural Pure Vegetabel oil bottles one big one and one small one...only difference from appearance is the size of the bottle....well surprise me and the ingredients are different. The large one says ingredients are soybean oil. The small one says canola oil, soybean oil. I wonder how the exact same brand and type of oil can have 2 different ingredients..lol:confused:

That is very odd since they are both the same brand. I was going to point out that many vegetable oils are pure soybean but are less expensive than those labeled Soybean Oil.

e

okay this is strange....I just went and looked at the ingredients for my vegetable oil. I have 2 Crisco All Natural Pure Vegetabel oil bottles one big one and one small one...only difference from appearance is the size of the bottle....well surprise me and the ingredients are different. The large one says ingredients are soybean oil. The small one says canola oil, soybean oil. I wonder how the exact same brand and type of oil can have 2 different ingredients..lol:confused:

I've seen that too - manufacturers are adding more canola oil into their regular vegetable oils. Guess when they just call something vegetable oil, they use whatever is the cheapest :) Gotta always read the labels.. Canola has a SAP of .133, soybean of .136, so soybean will take a bit more lye than canola.