new to j223 questions

I just started using j223 and i just did a test on one that i used 1oz pp 9 oz hex jar 51 wick test burned it for 3 hours and i really would like a better throw. I just ordered greenleaf cotton 44-32-18c, eco-4, and htp-105( thanks to brenda for this info) which one would you all suggest wicking with this wax? Just trying to get the best throw possible. Thanks Lyndie

I have used 223 for a couple of years and always use the zinc wicks....when I initially began I tried many different types but went back to the zincs...I am not sure of the mouth size of the 9 oz hex, but perhaps a container with a larger mouth might throw better for you?

Might also depend upon the fragrance you are using...could just be a light one? :undecided

There might be more variables than just the wicks and/or the wax....That's what makes the testing process so, hmmmm, interesting?! :D

Have fun!

I used clean cotton(lonestar) fragrance and the cold throw is good but burning not so good. So you think the wick is not the problem? I use 51 zinc wick. I have been testing testing testing like we all preach but i guess i just want the best throw i can get. I will test again today because it has had time to cure. I know i should have waited to burn it but i was excited to see the results, but from now on i will make sure and let it cure for at least 24-36 hours before i test it. But thank you for your input I am so glad to have people to talk to about my candle making it makes things so much easier.Tonight i will make another one but maybe with a stronger scent that may help. Thanks Lyndie

:D

Your wick sounds about right for that jar, so it may not be the problem. I know that we all say that paraffin doesn't need to cure, but I think that leaving it alone for at least 24-36 hours will really give you the best idea about throw. Lonestar has good Fos, so letting it cure is probably your best bet. Also, you may have a touch of candle-nose and burning so soon after pouring may impact how you perceive the throw. It may be throwing great, but you just can't tell. This happens to me all the time. DH comes in and says the scent is overpowering, but I can't smell anything. Let us know how the throw turns out.

I use the J223, hex jar and 51Z and get a great throw. The Clean Cotton that I use (from Peaks) will run you out of the house!

My vote would be either candle nose, or the scent is maybe not the strongest!

Your wick sounds about right for that jar, so it may not be the problem. I know that we all say that paraffin doesn't need to cure, but I think that leaving it alone for at least 24-36 hours will really give you the best idea about throw. Lonestar has good Fos, so letting it cure is probably your best bet. Also, you may have a touch of candle-nose and burning so soon after pouring may impact how you perceive the throw. It may be throwing great, but you just can't tell. This happens to me all the time. DH comes in and says the scent is overpowering, but I can't smell anything. Let us know how the throw turns out.

I just did another test burn and wow what a difference it smells great i guess i was just trying to burn it too soon. Thank you all for all your help. Now i have some relief about my scent throw because it was really stressing me BAD. So now i will be testing my new shipment of the candle source fragrance. I made some but;) they are curing. I let my friend test the j&j bedtime bath tart and she loves it she said that it is so much stronger that the cold throw. Now she wants a candle for her friend. That is the next test i have to do, But i think that it is better if i let other people test it for me b/c of you know (candle nose). Thanks Lyndie

I like to give my nose a break and let them sit for a week. It can be hard not to light one up that long, but my poor nose needs the down time. After pouring there is enough fo in the air to dull the senses for a day or two. Even my husband finds it a bit heady in the house during that time. I used to use the zinc, switched to lx so can't give advice there. If the wick is giving the proper melt pool and you don't get good throw, then I'd question the fo, not up the wick. Seems the extra day helped.

When I order a sample to test for throw, I pour it and wait at least 3-4 days before lighting up. During that time, I try not to pour anything else or burn anything else, so my nose really clears out. I like to get a clear impression of how a scent throws and what it really smells like and I can't do that without giving my nose a break for a while.

Having someone else test for you is also a great idea. I have a good friend that tests candles for me and she is brutally honest. I gave her a few votives before Christmas. They were scents that I didn't think threw well for me, but I liked them and wanted her opinion. She said that one about ran her out of the house because it was so strong and the other was very faint. Having someone give you their honest opinions is extremely helpful.

I have a problem with the 51 wick in paraffin wax smoking a lot even when i have trimed the wick. Does anyone have any suggestions on why it would be smoking this much?I use 1 oz pp in 9 oz hex jars. Is it the brand of wick (cajun candle supply) are they all the same or do they have cheeper made wicks? I just ordered the wick from greenleaf but never got a chance to try them. I am hoping that the new wicks dont do this but i am still new to this and would like someone with the same prob to give me a little input. Thanks Lyndie