What would u use?

CranberryGirl

IMO you cannot get a good bar of soap when using only one oil. It is a combination of different oils, all with different properties in the finished soap, which produce a well-balanced soap. One type of oil will not make a bar which is hard, moisturizing, and has a good lather all at the same time.

What the others said.

Hard oils: palm, PKO, coconut, babassu, lard, tallow, butters (cocoa, shea, mango...). Some count olive as hard since it cures hard, I don't.

Soft oils: everything else.

I would use RBO instead of olive because I don't particularly like olive in soaps. And the cost is much less. Not quite as conditioning, but the lower oleic acid in the RBO means less slimy suds. I can compensate by using another soft oil with more oleic acid (Jennifer's combo of oils synergy)

If I didn't have customers that cared, I'd use tallow instead of palm. I much prefer tallow. But I've got customers that want veggie. I'm slowly introducing tallow bars to my fairs, just have to figure out the sweet spot for marketing.

IMO you cannot get a good bar of soap when using only one oil. It is a combination of different oils, all with different properties in the finished soap, which produce a well-balanced soap. One type of oil will not make a bar which is hard, moisturizing, and has a good lather all at the same time.

I agree completely Jen. When I say RBO is my base oil, I typically use it at 35-50% with lots of other oils.