newbie need help

Hello, I am new member and need alot of help. I have tried all kinds of waxes 100% soy,soy blended with parifin and perfect soy and i just cannot get the scent throw that i am hoping for. I have tried different kinds of oils but i just cannot get it as strong as i want it to be. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i am doing wrong.I have even tried to put more fragrance but still nothing. :sad2: I have tested and tested but still cannot get it . Thanks

Ok...... first off.. welcome to the board. Secondly, you need to give a little more info :). How much FO (fragrance oil) are you using per pound of wax? What type and size of wick are you using... and most importantly with Soy or Soy Blends..... how long are you letting it cure before you do a test burn? When you did your test burns... how much of a melt pool did you get?

Soy is a tricky animal to use. I was using a Soy Blend from NG and it took awhile to get it just right... I will look for your post and try to help ya as much as I can :)

I'm new to this too, but what I've found is that a candle is a system. Wax, wick and scent work in conjunction to produce a wonderful candle. So dumping more scent into the wax won't do anything necessarily other than frustrate you.

If I were you, I decide what sort of candle I wanted to make, pick a wax, and then test, test, TEST with different wicks in combination with a good quality FO. Also, record your results for every candle. Change one thing with the next batch. For instance, you have Wax A, Wick B and Fragrance Oil C. You love the fragrance, but it doesn't smell strongly enough. Experiment with another wick. Don't change two components because you'll never determine what the problem is.

Good luck. I'm loving making candles, but it is a lot of testing!

1 oz of fragrance per lb. great melting pool. 51 wick with zink core. I let it cure 24 hours before i burn it. and i let it burn for hours hoping to get a better scent throw. the wick mushrooms and sets off my smoke alarm. The perfect soy melting pool is almost half the candle which don't seem right. I do have some 44 wicks that i can try. i have been testing them for about 2 months and nothing seems to satisfy me. I find that the soy parifin blend is the best so far but still i want better.

1 oz of fragrance per lb. great melting pool. 51 wick with zink core. I let it cure 24 hours before i burn it. and i let it burn for hours hoping to get a better scent throw. the wick mushrooms and sets off my smoke alarm. The perfect soy melting pool is almost half the candle which don't seem right. I do have some 44 wicks that i can try. i have been testing them for about 2 months and nothing seems to satisfy me. I find that the soy parifin blend is the best so far but still i want better.

thanks mei mei. i will try that right now. i will let you know how it comes out

If the soot and mushrooms are setting off my smoke alarms than you have serious candle problems! You have to be very careful because that same soot is getting into your lungs. That much smoke can't be good.

What parrafin/soy blend are you using, and in what size container? Container size is one of the things you use to determine wick size.

Soy generally needs to cure for much longer than 24 hours. Try letting your candles sit for at least a week and see if that helps. Also, many soy users use 1.5 oz of fragrance pp of wax to get the best throw, so you may not be using enough oil. If you are not using a quality fragrance oil, you wouldn't have a good throw either.

If the soot and mushrooms are setting off my smoke alarms than you have serious candle problems! You have to be very careful because that same soot is getting into your lungs. That much smoke can't be good.

What parrafin/soy blend are you using, and in what size container? Container size is one of the things you use to determine wick size.

i use j223 parrafin wax and 100% soy wax i blend it 70/30 but it is mostly with my 100% soy that i am having a problem with.i use 9 oz hexagon containers with 51 wick. my oils are from lonestar candle suppybut i also use them from other places too. could it be the brand of wick? another supplier i get my oils from is cajun candles. but when i am burning the candle i have no smoke at all its just when i blow it out. i have no soot on the container at all when burning them.

i use j223 parrafin wax and 100% soy wax i blend it 70/30 but it is mostly with my 100% soy that i am having a problem with.i use 9 oz hexagon containers with 51 wick. my oils are from lonestar candle suppybut i also use them from other places too. could it be the brand of wick? another supplier i get my oils from is cajun candles. but when i am burning the candle i have no smoke at all its just when i blow it out. i have no soot on the container at all when burning them.

If you are only getting smoke when you blow out the candle, then stop blowing it out and instead, use a wick-dipper or a paperclip to dip the wax in the wax to put it out (then straighten the wick back up again). There won't be any smoke if you use this method.

Lonestar's oils are good, but the ones you chose may not throw well in soy at 1 oz pp (or they may simply not throw well in your soy at all). Have you tried making a candle with just J223 (not mixed)? A lot of people use J223, so you might want to try that and see how your scent throw is.

Don't forget what I posted above too about soy needing to cure for a while. You may find that curing for two weeks solves your scent throw problem.

If you are only getting smoke when you blow out the candle, then stop blowing it out and instead, use a wick-dipper or a paperclip to dip the wax in the wax to put it out (then straighten the wick back up again). There won't be any smoke if you use this method.

Lonestar's oils are good, but the ones you chose may not throw well in soy at 1 oz pp (or they may simply not throw well in your soy at all). Have you tried making a candle with just J223 (not mixed)? A lot of people use J223, so you might want to try that and see how your scent throw is.

Don't forget what I posted above too about soy needing to cure for a while. You may find that curing for two weeks solves your scent throw problem.

i just tried it by itself and when it cooled the wax looked cracked all the way around. Just wondering what is making it do this.