Dipping pots

Hello!

For those who dip hurricane or other candles, what do you use as your dipping pot? I just made a perfect hurricane and then realized that I had nothing big enough to melt my wax in for dipping it!:sad2: Someday, I am actually going the think things through before I attempt something new! Any suggestions would be great! Thanks--Lori

I have an old stock pot that I got for something like $12 at Wal-Mart. I've used it for a number of things. It's one of those blue porcelan camp-ware looking things.

Kinda depends on how big the hurriacan is, though. You'd natureally want the smallest vat you can rig up that will fit, because you'd want to melt the smallest amount of wax you could get by with. The pot I'm talking about is about 18" deep and about a foot accross.

Thanks to both of you! I thought about a coffee can as well, but I think it might rust:embarasse . I'm gonna see about buying a pot for this particular wax then. I think my hurricane is 6" across. I have to make sure that the pot I buy will fit into my little fry daddy pot! Thanks again. Lori

How big of a hurricane are you making?

There are probably things that will work. the real question is how small can you get away with.

Try your local hardware store where they have all sizes and shapes of metal containers like metal buckets.

then again I don't always use a double boiler when I am making a dipping vat...wax is easy to keep warm on low low heat once it has melted.

I live vicariously through my wax.

Thanks to both of you! I thought about a coffee can as well' date=' but I think it might rust:embarasse . I'm gonna see about buying a pot for this particular wax then. I think my hurricane is 6" across. I have to make sure that the pot I buy will fit into my little fry daddy pot! Thanks again. Lori[/quote']

The coffee can will work fine, if it's big enough. Any rust will form on the outside. No problem there. I've used them as pour pots, in the past. Some people still do, according to another recent thread.

I didn't like them for pour pots, but it wasn't because they weren't suitable for melting wax in.

Even if you DID start getting a bit of rust on the inside, you'd notice before it becomes a problem, and they're certainly cheap enough to replace. :)

I thought about a coffee can as well' date=' but I think it might rust:embarasse . [/quote']

Unless you put it in water or keep it in a damp area, it wont rust. The wax will actually help protect it since it's oil based. I have a couple I use.

Added: Just a reminder, for whatever you use to dip in. Remember to fill it only 1/4 to 1/2 full. The actual amount will vary depending on how big the pot and shell you're dipping are. If you put too much wax in there, it'll spill over the top before you get the shell imersed all the way. On the other hand, too little and the wax level wont raise high enough to coat the shell to the top.