Favorite wick for 50/50 soy/paraffin blend?

I have been playing around with a 70/30 soy/J50 combination, and have been testing with HTPs, and soon will try LXs. These wicks typically burn hot. Probably should try wicking down with the zincs first before trying a different wick type.

Are you just trying something different, or is there a perticular reason why you would add soy to the J223? In my case, I'm adding the J50 to the soy to pour hotter and get smoother tops, but so far the cold throw is suffering.

geek :cool2:

I was tired of the look of the J223 and wanted a smoother non-vaseliney look & harder wax and loved the way the CB3 soy/veg looked in the jar. But it burned funny and had a lot of soot with white lines around the edges and what not.

So decided to add soy to the J223 to make them look better and like it so far. I won't be advertising them as soy - just doing it to make better looking, burning candles.

BTW - I thought soy was a harder wax. Why are my old wicks burning quicker with the addition of the soy?? Doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the help! :)

BTW - I thought soy was a harder wax. Why are my old wicks burning quicker with the addition of the soy?? Doesn't make sense.
Yeah, I can't resist a question like that.

According to what I've learned about life, blood is thicker than water, paraffin container goop is thicker than blood, and soy container wax is thicker than any of them.

So, my conclusion is that it's not really happening, LOL. :)

But seriously, are you sure it's not just at the top of the container? If you have a flatter surface with the soy it'll start off burning better.

I like your system for finding the facts :)

I've tested 3 so far and did let them cure for 3 days first and all 3 are burning too quick with the 50% addition of soy added to the J223.

Is the 415 a pure soy?? Maybe that's the problem??

Or maybe something weird and scientific happens when the soy hits the J223 container goop?? :tongue2:

Thanks for the responses :)

Thinking about it a little more I'll take a wild-arse guess that it's because the wax burns a little more downwards with the soy in it. The petro goop alone melts pretty easily across the top so the wax level around the wick doesn't drop as quickly when you first light it. With the soy it digs a little more of a hole and exposes more wick.

I had to try.