trying performa wicks...

I am testing performa wicks in my 8 oz widemouth jj's just to compare to the htp's I have been using up to now. I like how the wicks stick straight up but am noticing a lot more mushrooming and have an even stranger question. I have the following results after 3 hours of burning with the performa wicks in these jars using cinnamon red hots f/o. This is the 4th burn on these jars.

performa 85-good burn possibly too hot- about 1/4" deep melt pool.

performa 90-very week flame...looks like it will go out- about 1/4" deep melt pool.

performa 95-too hot- about 1/2" deep melt pool.

performa 100-way too hot- almost 1" deep melt pool.

My question is why is the performa 90 wick so week compared to the 85 and 95? I trim them all to 1/4 before each burn. Is it because that wick is too hot and can't keep up? If that was the case wouldn't the 95 look similar and why does the 85 look fine? I think I will be sticking with htp's so it's not a big deal...I have a few tests left to do before I decide but I thought these results were strange.

I'm not much help because it's been quite a while since I tested performas but I think I had the same thing happen to me. :P Just figured it was one of those things! I think, tho, that it only happened with certain FO's, but then my memory isn't that good!

What you're seeing resembles published test results for these wicks. I had once noticed the numbers seemed to be all over the place and wondered if maybe they didn't test them properly. But maybe they did.

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_performa_wicks.php

Performa 90 seems to be one of the weakest. Performa 100 is nearly the strongest. Performa 80 might be the one you need.

Notice even the yield numbers are out of order. Strange.

What you're seeing resembles published test results for these wicks. I had once noticed the numbers seemed to be all over the place and wondered if maybe they didn't test them properly. But maybe they did.

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_performa_wicks.php

Performa 90 seems to be one of the weakest. Performa 100 is nearly the strongest. Performa 80 might be the one you need.

Notice even the yield numbers are out of order. Strange.

Right On...they are all over the place and inconsistent. I'm not too impressed with these! The numbers seem to not relate to eachother very well. It was a real head scratcher to see the 90 going out and the 85 burning fine...I do think an 80 would work if it is a bit smaller than the 85. Thanks! I will keep on testing...thinking I may stick with the htp's for now...in any case it was interesting to see this oddity!