Advice for Beginner Soy Candle Maker

Hello! I got my first soy candle making kit today. I just started mat leave and really wanted to try a new hobby before baby gets here. I got the “Fragranth” kit from Amazon. It didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped due to some issues with the melting method and the thermometer. Probably a user error 🙃 

it came with an aluminum melting pitcher, which I filled with some soy wax (enough for an 8oz container). I then put it in a medium sauce pan filled with about an inch and a bit with water as instructed (I tried a pot as well but the pitcher just kept floating in it). The instructions said to bring to a boil on medium-high, but when I melted the wax this way, the pitcher just kept shaking and the thermometer it came with wasn’t reading the temp properly because the needle was also shaking lol. I did try to turn the stove down so it wasn’t bubbling as much but then the temp of the wax dropped and wouldn’t go up. So anyways I did the best I could to get it at the right temp for fragrance mixing and then pouring. My first one is curing with a bunch of craters at the top which I kind of expected and I’ll see how the second one turns out lol. 

any advice on what I should do next time?