IGI 6006

Totally confused about the wick I should be using for IGI 6006 wax.  Each candle supplier has their own recommendations.  I'm reaching out to seasoned candlemakers for some great advice.  I'm using the Cleo vessel from Dream Vessels.  I believe the diameter is 3.14".  10 % fragrance.  I've tried ECO 8 and after 3 1/2 hrs. still didn't have a full melt pool.  Should I wick up to an ECO 10 or try a different wick.

Edited by Sandyg
Grammar

In my experience, Eco wicks are the best choice.  Try not to put much faith in what you’ve heard about this wax, because most of it is dead wrong.  In a container of that size, it will not reach a full melt pool on the first burn.  A full melt pool is not the goal & it is not the sign of a successful candle.  If you wick hot enough to get a FMP on the first burn, it’s going to be way too hot at the bottom of the container.   10% FO is also overkill. 6006 doesn’t need that much and using such a high load leads to wicking woes.  7% is the max I’d use.

The wick guide on the Candle Science website is pretty accurate for 6006. For your jar, I’d test Eco 8 and Eco 10 side by side to compare. Anything bigger than that is too big. Don’t burn too soon after pouring.  The candle needs to cure at least a week, ideally 2 weeks, to get accurate results.  In this instance, curing is not about the throw. It’s about the burn, and it does make a big difference in how it burns despite what you may have heard.  Good luck! 🍀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sandyg said:

Thank you so very much for you excellent advice.  Truly appreciate your help! ❤

You are very welcome.  And welcome to the forum!  This is a great place to research and learn.  There’s tons of great info here. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:20 AM, bfroberts said:

In my experience, Eco wicks are the best choice.  Try not to put much faith in what you’ve heard about this wax, because most of it is dead wrong.  In a container of that size, it will not reach a full melt pool on the first burn.  A full melt pool is not the goal & it is not the sign of a successful candle.  If you wick hot enough to get a FMP on the first burn, it’s going to be way too hot at the bottom of the container.   10% FO is also overkill. 6006 doesn’t need that much and using such a high load leads to wicking woes.  7% is the max I’d use.

The wick guide on the Candle Science website is pretty accurate for 6006. For your jar, I’d test Eco 8 and Eco 10 side by side to compare. Anything bigger than that is too big. Don’t burn too soon after pouring.  The candle needs to cure at least a week, ideally 2 weeks, to get accurate results.  In this instance, curing is not about the throw. It’s about the burn, and it does make a big difference in how it burns despite what you may have heard.  Good luck! 🍀 

This is such excellent advice. I have been testing wooden wicks with 6006 for months, then gave up on that wax. Now I’m testing with problend 600 from the flaming candle. I love that wax and while I wait for my shipment, I went back to 6006 that I had left over. It seemed nothing worked well with 6006 then I realized that it’s the FO load. 10% and they looked like exhaust pipes. 8% didn’t work either. So now I’m testing 6006 with 6% and I’m hoping that gives me 4 hours of a clean burn. Really hoping because I’ve been religiously testing wooden wicks with no luck. So thank you for bringing up the fo load issue. Now I’m really worried about the HT at 6% but we’ll see.