Wood Wic Care of MICHAEL THE DALLAS TEXAS DEAN

I don't know anything about them. I was just responding to the note by LRC06301983 that they hadn't been able to find any other wood wick candles besides Old Virginia. I figured they missed the earlier thread and thought I'd share the info.

Just realized it was you in both posts. I don't pay much attention to names, only posts. You said in the post I quoted that Old Virginia was the only wood wick company you had found and that you had looked, so I was trying to be helpful and let you know of another that had been discussed on an earlier thread.

yeah I had read the earlier thread where they discussed wood wicks and that is what prompted this thread. BUT I had forgotten all about the Dana candles...

Good eye Ginger.

Actually i'm glad you've mentioned the Daya Decker thing a bunch of times because I went back and looked at the website again. I hadn't noticed but it appears that she uses wood wicks in her Parafin votives and smaller candles and uses a type of oil well in her bigger candles.

They are really expensive, but I really need to figure out this wood wick idea. I might cough up the $52 to buy one of the small votives...

I would buy one of the Old virginia ones but Michael is giving us so much good information about them.

I've successfully made a couple candles that burn nicely, but the melt pool gets large so they are only suitable as container candles at this stage of testing.

I am eons away from being able to wood wick a pillar. lol

I looked at that sample pack and I think I will pick one up sometime. Great idea MargMom.

I think I will try varying lengths of 1/16 width pieces of wood. That is the width that Michael estimated the wick in the candle to be.

Michael, is the wood in the Old virginia candles a balsa wood?

Where would one find bamboo slivers at?

Some people here had suggested it and I think balsa and possbily if I can find some bamboo I will experiment with that.

I am going to pour a candle using one of my wife's clarinet reeds as wekk cause I'm having trouble tracking reeds down.

I was the one that originally tested my wax with the "veneer". Yes it does burn and you can use any wood. We tried a variety of "veneer" types and all worked. What I didn't like about it was the wider and higher flame that it produced. Also the scorched wood that I had to break off with my finger tips when re-lighting the next day. You either end up with charred fingers or black soot in your wax. I think I'll let DayNa Decker (aka:Lumetique) http://www.tvausa.com/stories/story.asp?id=1 take credit for her creation and see how well it sells in a year or two.

email or pm me for the wood and I will get you whatever size you want. I will also need to know what kind of wodd you need.

I would not use balsa as it has a thick makeup and I would not think it would have a good wicking property.

I get thin strips in many kinds of woods, let me know I can pick it up on Monday.

I Pm'd you Nan.

It is a very generous offer to go pick this stuff up.

Where are you located at?

I would be more than happy to reimburse you and take care of shipping etc..

Where is it you go to get this wood? Do you use it for another hobby or basket making?

BTW: I had considered wicker like what they use for baskets...would that maybe work?

Yes, Luke, the candle has always maintained a full melp pool ( with a minimum of 3.5 hours burn time and not over 4).I am noticing on the fifth burn, as the top of the candle as reached the top of the narrow part of the container that there is starting to be some "hang-up" on the sides of the jar and the flame appears to be smaller than the previous burns. ( The exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen) After 3 hours tonight, the depth of the pool is 10/16 inch..good, but for some reason is starting to get hangup and the flame is dying with the wick somewhat. In light of testing, I am not going to "help" this candle in anyway other than "trimming" the charred wick prior to lighting. I am burning the recommended times and observing.

The "wood" is a light color with a grain...much like the image of the "Cypress" "Avodire" or "Birch" on the site provided by Margaritamama:

http://www.dlumberyard.com/Wood/woodindex.html

Celicagtca......I have noticed through the months I have been on the boards that you know a LOT about candles...and I totally value your opinion. When you tested the veneers did you try them in any soy product or blends? I do not believe that there is any soy in this candle but I was wondering what you think about this type of wicking in a soy based wax. I am not really a soy fan, but the public seems to be. I think that if the smoking issue could be rectified with this wooden wic, we might be on to something here. Do you think that soy wax would be any different, or is it just the wick itself and changing the wax formula wouldn't help? Sorry...that question sounded muddled. Let me try this: Say you are using zinc wicks...one in paraffin and one in soy. They both smoke somewhat due to the nature of the wick. In your opinion would the one in soy smoke less than the one in paraffin?

Do you think that this wick would smoke less in soy? Hows that? LOL

Michael

I have noticed through the months I have been on the boards that you know a LOT about candles...and I totally value your opinion. When you tested the veneers did you try them in any soy product or blends? I do not believe that there is any soy in this candle but I was wondering what you think about this type of wicking in a soy based wax. I am not really a soy fan, but the public seems to be. I think that if the smoking issue could be rectified with this wooden wic, we might be on to something here. Do you think that soy wax would be any different, or is it just the wick itself and changing the wax formula wouldn't help? Sorry...that question sounded muddled. Let me try this: Say you are using zinc wicks...one in paraffin and one in soy. They both smoke somewhat due to the nature of the wick. In your opinion would the one in soy smoke less than the one in paraffin?

Do you think that this wick would smoke less in soy? Hows that? LOL

Here: http://daynadecker.nespra.com/catpage.php?CatID=76749d6e59d0f3dcfdb0369d3e5e59b6

It says that the candles are botanical.:rolleyes2