Carving candles

Hi I'm Sherry from upstate NY. I'm new to candle carving. And just got all the nessary stuff for carving my candles, with trial and era I've learned a lot so far. The 140 melt point wax I ordered when making my candles was still hard and crumbled a little when carving. I added some steric to the wax and it seems to work much better for carving. Now I have to make more candles with that added and than can practice more. Anyone out there have any tips on other tricks for carving and making a better candle for carving and where is the best place to order wax for carving I got my wax from Candlewic. I read 140 was the best for carving and other places say 126 to 132 is better. Which do you guys use. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

Hi I'm Sherry from upstate NY. I'm new to candle carving. And just got all the nessary stuff for carving my candles, with trial and era I've learned a lot so far. The 140 melt point wax I ordered when making my candles was still hard and crumbled a little when carving. I added some steric to the wax and it seems to work much better for carving. Now I have to make more candles with that added and than can practice more. Anyone out there have any tips on other tricks for carving and making a better candle for carving and where is the best place to order wax for carving I got my wax from Candlewic. I read 140 was the best for carving and other places say 126 to 132 is better. Which do you guys use. Thanks 

Welcome to the board. 

Instead of stearic, I would add microcrystaline wax. It will help the layers adhere to the wax, and not separate, and also make the wax more pliable to cut, and curl the wax cuts. 

How long are you waiting from dipping to carving? The wax needs to be warm but not too hot or else the cuts will be melty and stretch too much when trying to curl, and also warm but not too cool or the cuts and curls will get brittle and break. 

I've always used to use IGI1343a for my carving wax, which I think has a melt point of 139, which was always fine for carving. IGI has since discontinued this wax, but I think the wax you get at Candlewic should work fine as long as you get some microcrystaline.